Parasolid import

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
DareBee

Parasolid import

Post by DareBee »

I use VM5 and SolidWorks. At this point I have not spent the extra money on the parasolid add in. I seem to be doing just fine importing the geometry in iges format.
My work is primarily 2.5D.
What are the benefits of having the Parasolid over what I am doing now?
Am I losing functionality or quality using iges input?
Any other comments or suggestions?

Thanks
Derek
DareBee

Parasolid import

Post by DareBee »

Hi Derek,

I have the Parasolid since the VM Version 4.
I think that the Iges is much better for use, because all the surfaces are separated. All egdes are shown.
By import via Parasolid you can not edit or move a single surface. The whole part is one block. Most of the egdes are not shown.
So they are not present for mesurment. The Parasolid is ok, but not realy needed, if you can export the part from your CAD as IGS or Rhino-file.

You can test the Parasolid-importer by using a Demo-Version.

Best Regards
Peter
bludin

Parasolid import

Post by bludin »

If your IGES transfer works flawlessly, stick with it. I'm using parasolid because my CAD program (IronCAD) uses it as one of it's native geometry kernels and VM's import module uses the same kernel for translation, so the transfer works very well. IGES on the other hand is not very well defined and transfer of IGES from IronCAD to VM often fails or introduces errors in the geometry.

Beat
bludin

Parasolid import

Post by bludin »

FYI, after I upgraded to VM5 and while I was waiting for my Parasolid secret password I tried several files using the stl file format. Like Beat, I'm an IronCAD user (and LOVE IT!!!!) and had since VM 2.5 used the Parasolid x_t format. I found stl gave me everything I needed although the part was relatively simple but still contained 3D surfaces. The machining turned out just as good as the x_t Parasolid native format.

Cheers, Peter
DareBee

Parasolid import

Post by DareBee »

Thanks Guys

To my knowledge all my igs imports are bang on. I also have tried the stl import and didnt notice any difference to the igs. I am assuming the parasolid is extra money due to copyrighting.
I was wondering (about psolid kernal) because I notice the igs import usually changes things like holes (which were created as a circle sketch and extruded cut through the part)into 2 surfaces. Like a pipe split lengthwise down the middle. Sometimes as well VM wont recognize the profile of the radial edge as an arc but sees it as a spline(or polyline). I have never had a problem with inaccuracy but sometimes I have to re-create these features with VM geometry. This takes extra time.

Keep it Simple
Derek