HELP!!!!! VM Stopped Posting to my mill

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
Bill Barschdorf

Post by Bill Barschdorf »

I really hope someone can help me. Its Sunday am and I have a job dead line on Wed. I am 8 important parts away from having all my parts machined. BUT!!!!!

I have been running parts all week with no problems. THEN. I rebooted my computer just after programming a part. I hit post to send the roughing opp to the mill ( Roland MDX-650 ) and the machine never started. Well needless to say I tried it several times with nothing happing. It is as though I unplugged the parallel port to the machine.

I then got a error message saying (Invalid file c:\program1\mcu\user\mcu.cfg.

What is this ???????????????????????????????????????????????

WELL here is the strange thing I actually installed VM on my other workstation and I can’t believe it STILL the same problem.

I also ran a test with a simple solid ( box) just to see if my file was messed up with still the same results no chips flying.

Is this anything to do with this program that is packaged with VM called (Meta-Cut Utilities) ?????????????

Any help would be really appreciated.
I NEED MY PARTS DONE, HAVE DEAD LINE

Thanks much
Bill B
bludin

Post by bludin »

OK, Bill. I gotta meet some deadlines myself until tomorrow morning but lets see if I can help you.

Is the error message really exactly what you describe or is it
"Invalid file c:\program~1\mcu\user\mcu.cfg?" (note the tilde character)

To answer you question: yes this is obviously a config file for Metacut utilities. It should reside in C:\Program Files\MCU\User
Does this path exist on your PC?
What happens if you move the file somewhere else and re-launch VM?
I'm also going to send you my mcu.cfg by e-mail, see if copying that to the above directory solves the problem.

But before doing all of this, try loading and posting a .vmp file that has worked previously. If that still works, forget all of the above and try creating a simple file de novo. Does this work now? If yes, simply recreate the faulty part from scratch. If not, taking the working file, empty it, and use it to recreate the faulty part from scratch.

Good luck, Beat
leo

Post by leo »

I am not sure , but file right permissions can be problem.
How do you send your NC-file to roland? Do you use RolandPrint?

When you post your file for post processing in the select post processor dialog there is a place called Output file : Try for example to write c:\mytest.prn before pressing OK.
Then you can send this file to Roland with RolandPrint.

I hope that this is the solution. I had similar problems with Win 2000 . The read/write rights use to give problem.

In Menu -Post Process- Set post-processor Options I use notepad as Program to use for displaying output file.

Leo
Bill Barschdorf

Beat and Leo,

Thanks for the reply, I really need it. I have tried everything I can think of as well as what you and other are suggesting. I looked into everything you suggested and tryied it with still no luck.
The cfg file is where you said it is.
Tried doing a simple solid
Moved the cfg file else where.
Tried your cfg file
My model files (Rhino) are fine

Every time I open a part in VM now I am getting the same message.
(Invalid file c:\program~1\mcu\user\mcu.cfg.)
I did miss the tilde character.

I use the Roland CAM GL to post to the machine. It has been fine until now. I also did what another user suggested of changing the output file to c:\mytest.prn this did not work.

This has got to do with this MCU program interfering with posting. What is it doing?

Another user mentioned file right permissions witch is an issue as well. The computer I use exclusively for my mill I am having problems with File right permission. I can not copy, access, re-install, install, update, SR update, etc, ect. Etc. anything (files ) on the system.

I am stumped.
I know the mill is working, I did a test using the Roland software and the data is posting and running the mill. Problem is I can not run the parts in the Roland software, to complicated ( need regions, drilling opps, and all Mops ).

Anyways any more info would really help. For kicks check out what I use VM for. I make toys. Thanks much.
Bill Barschdorf

I just found out MecSoft is out untill Jan 5. My problem is still not resolved.

PLEASE HELP!
bludin

Post by bludin »

>> The computer I use exclusively for my mill I am having problems with File right permission. I can not copy, access, re-install, install, update, SR update, etc, ect. Etc. anything (files ) on the system.

Seems like there's really something screwed up with your user account. Try using an account with administrator priviliges. BTW, what operating system are you running? You might want to run a full current virus check, too (since the problem is also present on your other machine).

BTW, do you want to send me the .vmp file for the part. I'll see if I can generate a .prn file from it.

Beat