2½ Axis Re-Machining Right/Left Issue

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
Bryce

2½ Axis Re-Machining Right/Left Issue

Post by Bryce »

I've found when using the Re-Machining function in VM4SW that selecting left or right side of the curve or flat area does not produce repeatable results. If I have a dozen alphanumeric characters (imported from a DXF) on a piece that I'm cutting, some will cut correctly as right, and others as left. I'm not surprised by that, though I am disappointed that Inside/Outside and Determine Using 3D Model aren't options for this operation.

What I don't understand is why I get completely different results if I have multiples of the same object in the file. The right/left option will be perfect on one piece, but not on any of the others. As you can imagine, this is pretty tedious to sort through and causes almost more problems than it solves. Is there something I'm overlooking? As mentioned, it doesn't matter if I use sketch curves to define the region or a flat area.
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

Could you post a file that you are having problems with or send it to [email protected]? This will help us determine the problem.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

Attached is the most recent file in which I've used the re-machining operation. You can see that when flat areas are selected, the software does not choose all the same as left or right. Even when using sketches, the issue is the same (though individual sketches and flat areas will differ in response).

I can manually select each individual sketch region or flat area and put each into a left or right operation, but that's quite tedious. It's also frustrating that when using a patterning operation in SolidWorks to generate multiple instances and none of the patterned geometries respond to the Re-Machining operation in the same manner as the original seed geometry.