Z Origin Question

All topics related to RhinoCAM
surf37water

Z Origin Question

Post by surf37water »

I have what is probably a simple problem to solve, but I am new to the program so if someone could help, I'd appreciate it.

Somewhere in the process of setting the stock and part within the stock I am making a mistake regarding the Z origin, but I can't seem to find it.

I set the origin of my router to be just touching the surface of my work piece, but when I start the cut file, it cuts the file approximately the material thickness above the piece. I thought I had it set right, I set the 'zero face' to 'highest Z,' and I tried variations on that between the 'locate all geometry' and 'locate part within stock' menus, but I can't find the combination that will make the top surface of the workpiece be the origin, and the file is cut downward from that plane.

If you have a tip, let me know.
postalgbv

Post by postalgbv »

I do it this way on my router table. I always use the top of the workpiece with XY at the lower left hand corner.

make your stock part, then turn on the stock visibility to see where it is in relation to your objects. Use Align Part and Stock to move one or the other with Z alignment selected as Top. I usually use Move Stock since my objects are usually where they need to be. And typically South West.

The object should be positioned correctly in the stock now, but maybe he entire thing needs to be moved to the correct 0,0,0 and you can use Locate All Geometry (Locate WCS) and set it to Stock Box at Highest Z and South West.

This always works fine for me.
postalgbv

Post by postalgbv »

I might mention that you can have a look at your Gcode and see if the majority (all but rapid clearance height movements and entry moves) of all Z heights should be negative numbers on a typical piece where all geometry is being cut out below the Z0. If it is and your machine is still doing what you say, perhaps your machine has a built in offset when you use the Z zero command. I have a 3 head machine and 2 of the heads, when retracted, are lower than the main head and use a Z 0 macro that calculates their offset height automatically.. It causes an issue if you simply use one of the side heads to manually set the Z, because if you then switch to the main head and try to cut, it will be trying to cut too high.