RhinoCAM 2 frustrations

All topics related to RhinoCAM
nscott

RhinoCAM 2 frustrations

Post by nscott »

Just started using RhinoCAM 2 and have the following observations/questions:

1/ Why can't the tool library be remembered and loaded?? This was the case with RhinoCAM 1.

2/ Why can't MOp set 1 be already created for a new project? It will inevitably be created anyway, and it not having it just means another click for me to forget.

3/Regions Tab - Why do I have to click another button to select a curve or area? I'm sure RhinoCAM cn tell the difference. Again another click to remember...

4/ Why are all the tools on the same list? This is the only place in RhinCAM that could use another button/click. We have a fair number of tools in the library and it gets confusing.

5/ Why doesn't RhinoCAM remember Feed/Speeds between sessions? In fact why doesn't it remember all the settings between sessions. The odds are more likely that I will use my previous settings than use the defaults that your programmers put in.

I like the way all the parameters have been united into one dialogue but somehow the way it's been implemented (see above) results in more clicks and longer times to set up toolpaths. Other changes like putting Post only on right click, not being able to post multiple toolpaths unless they are a complete set just seem to be backwards changes.

Haven't had a chance to try the new sorting and tabs for 2d toolpaths but look forward to those improvements.

Lastly, is it my imagination, or do the 3d toolpaths actually take longer to generate than in version 1?

Thanks for listening,

Nick Scott
nscott

Post by nscott »

Just to mention that I am running 2d paths this morning and the tabs and sorting and ramping along toolpath are all great features.

If I can just make one request for future versions of the ramping, it is that after cutting the first level to have the toolpath ramp down to the next level without having to go back up to the clearance plane. Perhaps this is useful for some situations but for regular cnc routing it just takes up time. Perhaps there could be an option to disable it?

Thanks,

Nick
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

If I can just make one request for future versions of the ramping, it is that after cutting the first level to have the toolpath ramp down to the next level without having to go back up to the clearance plane.
Have you tried using the Skim Clearance plane setting? This should prevent the tool from returning to the Clearance plane always.
nscott

Post by nscott »

Thanks for your reply.
Using skim would help time-wise but I am reluctant to use it for safety reasons.

For me, the great advantage of having the toolpath ramp down to the subsequent cuts is that the reason for having it in the first place - to ease the bit into the material - is continued on through the operation. What is the point of having this happen at only one level?

Apart from load on the bit, ramping would lessen the chances of the material being splintered when the bit breaks through the bottom.

Nick
juliao

Re: RhinoCAM 2 frustrations

Post by juliao »

Hi..i´m new here but subscribe to what scott said... We bought rhino 2 bur presently we are using rhino 1 mainly because of the speed of processing...sometimes i get desperated with rhino 2

One more thing..We bought rhino2 and Mecsoft should say thanks to the pirates...if we couldn´t have tried the full version we would never bought it..instead of limited rhino why not full version for 30 days..simulate in computer is far from real machining and evaluation version does not alow to post..

I tried rhino first at home while the machine didn´t arrive... when it arrived had to change completely the programming methods...in steel its completely diferent..

Conclusion...i´m very satisfied with rhino but waiting for a release that solves processing times to lunch version 2 again...too bad cause i´m missing excelent features like area machining and chanfering that is a tool i use a lot but had to make an option...i´m new programing and need to try lots of machining methods and its almost impossible with rhino2

Happy new year for everyone

nscott wrote:Just started using RhinoCAM 2 and have the following observations/questions:

1/ Why can't the tool library be remembered and loaded?? This was the case with RhinoCAM 1.

2/ Why can't MOp set 1 be already created for a new project? It will inevitably be created anyway, and it not having it just means another click for me to forget.

3/Regions Tab - Why do I have to click another button to select a curve or area? I'm sure RhinoCAM cn tell the difference. Again another click to remember...

4/ Why are all the tools on the same list? This is the only place in RhinCAM that could use another button/click. We have a fair number of tools in the library and it gets confusing.

5/ Why doesn't RhinoCAM remember Feed/Speeds between sessions? In fact why doesn't it remember all the settings between sessions. The odds are more likely that I will use my previous settings than use the defaults that your programmers put in.

I like the way all the parameters have been united into one dialogue but somehow the way it's been implemented (see above) results in more clicks and longer times to set up toolpaths. Other changes like putting Post only on right click, not being able to post multiple toolpaths unless they are a complete set just seem to be backwards changes.

Haven't had a chance to try the new sorting and tabs for 2d toolpaths but look forward to those improvements.

Lastly, is it my imagination, or do the 3d toolpaths actually take longer to generate than in version 1?

Thanks for listening,

Nick Scott