Vm6 5 axis continuous?

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
Mark Angus

Post by Mark Angus »

Hi Mecsoft

Has a release date been set yet, or is there too much work left before it can be thought about.
Mark Angus

Post by Mark Angus »

Hi Mecsoft

Whats the hold up. I saw the beta demo , and it seemed finished except for the installer? ....I have patiently been waiting for this for a long time. If I remember the 5axis option was first announced around 2006/2007 with VM V5. Is it comming soon, or is there big issues to resolve. To be fair, I would rather wait than have it rushed and sent out too early

:?:
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

Hi Mark,
When we showed you the demo if we gave you the impression that only an installer was left to finish I apologize for that. The reason we had to delay the beta again is because we are going through massive code reorganization so that we will be able to release the 5 axis module simultaneously on both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of VisualCAM, Rhino and SolidWorks. This plus the fact we are also simultaneously working on version 2.0 of Turn and Art and hope to release these as well at the same time has significantly impacted the schedule. On the positive side we just got the a 64 bit version of VisualCAM & VisualMILL up and running this week. We are almost done with the code reorganization and should have the beta ready in the next few weeks. Again we thank you for your patience.
Mark Angus

Post by Mark Angus »

Hi Mecsoft

I am looking forward to the 5 axis continous capacity. I know you are hard at work, but needed to get this off my chest.

If I had to choose ,this is the 3 features I am desperate for. In order of preference.

a 5 axis clearance plane option. as discussed earlier in this post.
MecSoft Support wrote:Clearance plane definition dialog.
5 axis trim (cut along 2 curves)

4 axis cutting on 5axis machine. As shown in Madcam 4.2

http://www.madcamcnc.com/madCAM42/madCA ... s%205-axis

Evrything else will be a bonus.

Mark
MecSoft Support

Mark,

please check with us end of next week. We should have something for you to try out.

Of the 3 requests that you have, we have implemented the first 2.

The last one:
4 axis cutting on 5axis machine. As shown in Madcam 4.2
is actually quite restrictive since you can only machine rotary parts using this method. We have something like this in the works but will not be ready for another few months. We have a method called "Surface Normal Machining" which will possibly do the same thing that you are looking for. We can hash this out during the beta period.
Mark Angus

Post by Mark Angus »

Thanks Mecsoft.

The last feature I wanted was probably not an essencial one, but I was hoping that the 4 axis machining operations already present in VM could be implemented to work with a 5 axis machine by moving the rotation axis to a verticle position. I realise that that this might not be that simple to do.
MecSoft Support

Yes we can do the vertical rotational axis. This is in our plans. Hopefully by the time we release the 5 axis module we will be able to release this as well.
Mark Angus

Post by Mark Angus »

Hi Mecsoft

I was just checking back to see if you had that beta ready to try out.

Mark
MecSoft Support

Hi Mark,
drop us an email to [email protected] and we will make this available to you. Not quite ready yet but the installers are ready. We are working on hooking up the posting right now and should be ready to go in the next few days.
Mark Angus

Post by Mark Angus »

Because VisualMill normally use's mesh objects for toolpath calculation, would it not be easier to get the 5 axis module going first on RhinoCAM and Visualmill for Solidworks?

I personally feel that VisualMill at the moment lacks enough CAD tools to make the 5 axis module really workable without another CAD solution.

Edge selection, Object outline and curve contruction is so much easier in Rhino. Going between packages at the moment can be a headache.

I would be more than happy to pay extra for a dual licence. VisualMILL and RhinoCAM off one dongle. VisualMill for 3-4 axis work and Rhino CAM for 3-5 axis work.
MecSoft Support

Hi Mark,
you are absolutely right. We have the 5 axis module working in Rhino as well (complete with edge selection!). If you want to look at this Beta, we can make this available to you as well. When we release this module we will be releasing this simultaneously in VisualCAM, Rhino and SolidWorks.
Mark Angus

Post by Mark Angus »

Hi

Just some positive feed back for the VM 5axis UI.

I have been training on Delcams 5 axis Powermill. I have been impressed with its power. AlphaCAM 5axis is a joke compared with this package.

Its very powerful, although the UI at the moment is complicated and can be confusing. Loads of options and settings to get lost in. Every time I use another CAM product I appreciate Visualmill interface more and more. One that I can easily check tool numbers and feed speeds/ rapid heights. Although Delcam can save machining settings in a file for later use , models and toolpaths have to be deleted first. Knowlege base in VM is better executed.

I can see the need for a 5axis poduct that can be quickly programmed and suited more to the woodworking/prototyping/modelmaking market rather than the high end mould making/ tool making/ poduct market , with some of the options .

I can also see why the right limited or automatic safe settings can be useful in certain instances for certain industrys. Saving time on programming to get the machine running quickly for one off jobs.
MecSoft Support

Hi Mark,
thanks for the positive feedback. Our goal is to make 5 axis easy to use for the un-initiated. I am glad to see you think we are on our way to making this goal a reality.
Mark Angus

Post by Mark Angus »

Hi Mecsoft.

Any news on progress. I have been hearing whispers in the RhinoCAM camp..

I wonder if this post will recieve 10000 views before the module is released. I think are on 9000 and something at the moment.
MecSoft Support

Hi Mark,
We are still working on the module. As an update, most of the toolpath generation algorithms are complete. We are currently working on machine tool simulation. This is a few weeks from completion. Here is an example of a 4 axis toolpath simulation performed on a Roland 4 Axis machine.

http://www.mecsoft.com/SupportVideos/5A ... amrec.html