Beta impressions

All topics related to RhinoCAM
ryan

Beta impressions

Post by ryan »

I'm liking 2.0 so far. I've come across a few little things in my limited time working with it.

I did have a C++ error dialog pop up that totally crashed Rhino without any warning, this might be soemthing wrong on my end because I get the same error in Firefox when I load a page with embedded media.

1.0 files that were setup using the Top setting for the cut depth are opening up without the Top setting enabled. It's keeping the depth and showing the toolpath correctly though. See image attached.

There doesn't seem to be a way to add regions to the selected regions by the shift click method used before. This could possibly be done with a "Select Curves to Add" button?

I noticed in the documentation that there is now a sorting option for profiling, could this possibly get added to engraving also?

The shop documentation is an unexpected addition that is going to be very nice, I'm not getting an image though.

The overall flow of things has been greatly improved, the ability to have sets of MOPS and copy/paste them in groups is excellent and will improve efficiency.

Thank you for your hard work. Any idea when it will be ready to purchase?
Attachments
fenders1.jpg
fenders1.jpg (101.29 KiB) Viewed 12692 times
ryan

Post by ryan »

I'm getting a lot of crashes generating toolpaths.

Also noticing that Rhino spikes in RAM significantly. It just crashed generating a simple profile route and it's mem usage stat from Process Explorer is at 1.7gb with Virtual Memory at 1.4gb.
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

Ryan, we have another update that was loaded yesterday. Pull that down and try again. We have fixed a few memory errors.

Also we will be announcing a pre-release promotion for RhinoCAM 2.0 upgrades soon. Stay tuned.
ryan

Post by ryan »

I pulled down the newest one and it was working fine until I was trying to find an operation to replace engraving using the "To" condition on a curve. I was in the process of trying Vcarve but I got a spike in RAM and crashed.

What is the new way to do an engraving operation using a "To" condition? I was using it to clean top edge of pocketed logos by entering a bit size the amount of the offset I wanted the engraving to be and it worked better than profiling because I could select a group of curves and it would always route on the pocketed side of the curves. If I use profiling I can achieve something similar but I will have to separate the islands into a different operation and this is not very efficient. Chamfer maybe the answer so I'll try that.

I'm going back to 1.0 now so I can get some work done. Below is a list of more things I noticed.

Maching/Features Regions Dialog:
- when selecting the Machinging Regions in the list, should it highlight the region in the viewport?
- no way to add regions to the list
- be nice if we could rearrange regions in the list, by moving them up or down in the list
- make the order of operation follow the order of the list

Operation Tree:
- if a curves seam is adjusted it doesn't not flag the operation as needing to be rerun
- same for curve direction
- no way to turn off the stock display for curves used

- vcarve roughing crash - C++ crash - it showed the toolpaths but never added the operation to the tree
ryan

Post by ryan »

deleted by poster
Last edited by ryan on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
MecSoft Support

Hey Ryan,

We are not going to respond to each post that describes a problem in the Beta but rest assured we are taking note of what you are saying and working to fix the issues. We will post when we have an update - should have one in a the next few days.
ryan

Post by ryan »

I don't expect a response to every post.

But I also don't think it is too much to ask for at least some type of acknowledgment. It doesn't take much time to write, "We are working on fixes, expect a new release in a few days."
MecSoft Support

Ryan,

Have a new version of RhinoCAM 2.0 on our web-site. Please download from the same link. The version # is 2.0.0.26

In future, please post your comments on the Beta in the main announcement thread. We will be making announcements regarding new updates in that thread alone.
mogman

Beta impressions

Post by mogman »

my impressions are quite simple (yet); I'm missing almost all of the buttons, or the pics of the buttons.

If this is known and reported elsewhere then forgive me
Attachments
RCB01.tif
RCB01.tif (297.26 KiB) Viewed 12621 times
mogman

beta impressions

Post by mogman »

forgot to mention the version 2,0,0,31
Attachments
RCB01.tif
RCB01.tif (297.26 KiB) Viewed 12614 times
yogi149

Post by yogi149 »

Hi

I am new here and start directly with question:
is there any newer Betaversion downloadable?
the version from the link write error message: beta period is over :cry:

P.S. sorry for my poor english, hope you can understand me. School is long time ago and english is not my allday language. :wink:
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

Hi Yogi,
We have just released the product. You can download the demo product as well as the commercial product from www.rhinocam.com