SP6 engraving problems

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
Vaclav Stejskal

SP6 engraving problems

Post by Vaclav Stejskal »

Just installed sp6 and have found couple problems that were not an issue in sp5.

1) Create a simple rectangle on z=0 plane in VM around my 2.5 part and in geometry select "stock from regions", set top to 0 and bottom -0.25 and computer freezes reliably every time, for any values. Win Manager shows VM near 100% CPU time so it's stuck in a loop or something. This feature works perfect in sp5.

2) Engraving a simple round corner rectangle with a 1/8" dia mill to depth of 0.25". Select INSIDE and VM will route on BOTH sides of the line. Select OUTSIDE with the same settings and and get "Algorithm failure". No reason for it whatsoever. Had to do the job with 2.5 axis profiling which WORKS with identical parameters.

3) This issue I have found in SP5 as well. When stock cutting simulation is complete, the tool path and the stock path are ereased immediately and only plain "stock" is shown. No chance to comapre stock with geometry.

Had to uninstall sp6 and reinstall sp5 back to get my work done.

Thank you for any input.
Vaclav Stejskal
OOK
MecSoft Support

SP6 engraving problems

Post by MecSoft Support »

1) The region stock is working correctly according to our tests. The Polyogonal simulation model takes some time to create the model. If you want faster display, choose the voxel model in the Simulation settings. This will speed things up considerably.

2) This is also working correctly according to our tests. You might have an open region and that is what is causing the toolpath to appear on both sides of the region. Make sure the region is completely closed. To do this select the region and click the Join two or more curves. This will force close the curve, when they have tiny gaps.

3) Please send us more information about this issue. If you are doing simulate all, you will have to click on each operation to view the stock at that stage.

[Edited by MecSoft Support on 23-Jun-04 12:11]
Vaclav Stejskal

SP6 engraving problems

Hello,

1) Voxel or Polygonal are irrelevant in this case. I am ABLE to create stock using many different options (in couple seconds) and view the simulations in BOTH Voxel and Polygonal but "Stock from Regions" in SP6 CRASHES Visual Mill (not the computer, sorry). This is NOT the case in sp5 which I am running right now. I have not been able to make it work in SP6. The OS is W2000Pro SP2 400Mhz, Dell Optiplex, super clean comp to run CNC machine only.

2)The region seems to be closed since "2.5 profiling" selects it properly and mills it correctly. If the region was not closed, I would get the "Open loop error", which I have done as well. Engraving on left, creates toolpath on BOTH sides of region and "on right" produces ERROR. I am enclosing the file which shows the polygonal region in question milled using the different methods. I cannot enclose the "on right" operation since it constantly creates errors with IDENTICAL parameters. Please try it out. By the way, I can reproduce this exact engraving problem on many different, positively closed regions consisting of arcs and lines. As far as I can see, the ONLY time this operation works properly is on Circles.

3) I know. The issue is WHY does the stock go blank immediately after simulation of the ENTIRE MOPs. If I want to change view to any specific operation, I can do that too but I want to see ALL of it after the run.

Thanks for looking at the file and helping to get to the bottom of this.
Vaclav Stejskal
OOK
Terry McCafferty

SP6 engraving problems

Post by Terry McCafferty »

from the Stock tab in the browser, if you are at the highest level of the tree when you simulate, it will go through the simulation completely and then revert back to showing the raw stock. If you select the lower levels of the tree, it will show you what was machined up to the completion of that level. If yo select the last one on the list, it will show the whole thing machined.
Vaclav Stejskal

SP6 engraving problems

Thank you Terry.
I wish this one paragraph was in the manual. It would clarify the issue instantly for everyone. I was frustrated by some operations showing paths together with others and had no clear idea about the logic flow of the stock display.
Thanks.
Vaclav