frustrated with advanced profiling

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
Richard Everett

Post by Richard Everett »

Hi,

I am a visual mill 5.0 user (full version). I am trying to mill some simple cutouts in a panel drawn in rhino 3.0. The 1/4 endmill does about what is expected, but the 1/8 endmill is going crazy in the toolpath generation. It totally ignores the regions and just gouges right into the part in bad places. Is this a bug?

uhm...how do i post the file?
Richard Everett

ok, for what it is worth, I posted the file to my website.

The rhino 3.0 file is: http://www.skyko.com/visualmill/panel4.3dm

And the vm 5.0 file is: http://www.skyko.com/visualmill/panel4.vmp

Thanks for any suggestions

Rick
GeorgeMay

Post by GeorgeMay »

No, it is not the bug - it's a feature :) Just edit Entry/Exit values. .25" long entry with .25" bit diameter cancel itself. 0.25" with .125" bit leaves some room for Entry/Exit path. Set Entry/Exit values to 0 (zero). This will create vertical approach of the bit.

George

In Cut Levels tab you may also change Cut Levels Ordering to Depth First. This will allow to cut each hole from start to finish preventing unnecessary tool moves.

[Edited by GeorgeMay on 24-May-04 19:54]
Richard Everett

OMG that fixed it. Thank you thank you.

Of course now I am casting a critical eye on this "feature".

I will have to examine entry/exit a bit closer. Do they do this in 3D modes, or is this "cutting the wrong metal feature" just in 2.5D profiling? :-)

Rick
obwan425

Post by obwan425 »

I believe this is only happening in the 2.5d as I have never had a lead or link blatently violate a surface..(yet)Another thing I like to do on a profile cut is use the radial lead in and out if your approach is say .125 and your radial lead in is .125 and your radial lead out is .125 and your departure is .125 then the tool will make its next stepdown right where it sits..If you have one value slightly different than the other the ends don't meet and the tool will make a retract motion in between levels creating some extra air time..Now some guys like to keep their tools nice and cool like Gregg T but not this guy ;-)~

Greg
obwan425

Post by obwan425 »

The above suggestion will only work on a regular profile or hole spin as the advanced profile has some other stepover things going on.

Greg