Please explain compensation!

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
DareBee

Post by DareBee »

Within the 2.5 axis pocketing parameters under the title Global Cut Parameters, the 3rd box down is COMPENSATION it is either on or off.
Please explain in detail its function.
I looked it up in the help file..
"Compensation stands for cutter compensation. The user can turn this on by selecting from the drop down menu. The cutter compensation to the left or right is determined by the Climb or Conventional direction."
This is all fine and dandy but doesnt tell me a damn thing.
Someone please shed some light in this for me.
bludin

Post by bludin »

Yes, I can't figure this one out either. I've compared the G-Code generated with cutter comp on and off and it seems to be identical to the last bit.

Beat
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

When the user selects cutter compensation from the parameter dialog, this will cause VisualMill to output a CUTCOM/LEFT or CUTCOM/RIGHT (depending on whether user is climb or conventional cutting) APT statment. The post will react to this statement and substitute the correct cutcom gcode which is specified in the .spm file. Note that the user can edit this using the post-processor generator.

Cutter compensation is available for Profiling, Pocketing and Facing, though the usefulness of this for pocketing and facing is dubious.

For Profiling, cutcom will be turned on just before the Approach move and the turned off just before the Departure move. It should be noted that in some cases, due to the user specification, the approach and/or departure moves might violate the part geometry. In such cases the system automatically removes these moves. Consequently cutcom will not be turned on.

For Pocketing, the cutter compensation, will be turned on only for the part region (outermost region). The compensation is turned on, just before the transition move into the final pass( the outer most cut ). Also this is done only if the cut direction is from inside to outside. Note that cutter comp would not be applied to island regions if any. This is because island offset curves end up intersecting the inner material removal cut passes.

Similarly, for facing, it is applied to the last facing cut, that is, for the last pass that cuts the part region.

[Edited by MecSoft Support on 22-Apr-04 17:04]
DareBee

Post by DareBee »

I may be missing something but I am still not satisfied with the response.
It would make sense (in my mind) if there was a box to input cutter compensation value. ie .005 or something (but then this would be the same as the stock box wouldnt it).
Does the program try to figure how much the cutter will deflect?
If so it would need to know the material being cut.
You have provided a beautiful tech response but what does it do in machinist terms.
Where is the cutter going physically?
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

DareBee,

You typically do not program a cutter compensation in VisualMill. You would input the compensation value at the controller. Cutter compensation is normally required under two scenarios:

1) When the tool wears down and the size of the cutter is not the same as the one that was programmed
2) User wants to use another size tool to run the program without having to reprogram the toolpath in VisualMill.

In either of these cases, you would input the cutter compensation value at the controller. The post processed g-code file just tells the controller to start using the cutter compensation value or not. The direction ie Left or Right is important to specify (VisualMill does this automatically) since the controller does not know which way the toolpath needs to be offset to implement the compensation.

Hope this helps.
GreggT

Post by GreggT »

Another application is tuning a feature down into the tenth range. I take a measurement with the part on the machine, comp the tool and run the sequence again to shave the feature down to the exact size that I'm shooting for. This is a very handy feature.

You will also need to setup your compensation on the "tool change" page of the post generator to take advantage of this.

Good Luck.

GreggT
DareBee

Post by DareBee »

Thanks guys

I am still very green on CNC although been machining a long time.
I am understanding how it works now (even if I dont know how to do it).