Help with .dwg import

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
Randy Fowler

Help with .dwg import

Post by Randy Fowler »

Hello everybody,
Does anyone have any input or experience importing either .dwg or .dxf files from AutoCAD 2004 or Autodesk Mechanical Desktop DX?
I seem to be unable to accomplish this seemingly simple task. I get messages such as "Did not load file!" or "No information found".

Help!!
Thanks all
RLF
MecSoft Support

Help with .dwg import

Post by MecSoft Support »

We currently do not support 2004 files. We are looking into supporting them. Please save as IGES, STL or previous version files.

Also we do not support ACIS solids in the AutoCAD files. A list of entities we support in AutoCAD

POINT:
LINE:
CIRCLE:
ELLIPSE:
SPLINE:
ARC:
LINE3D:
FACE3D:
SOLID:
POLYLINE:
MTEXT:
TEXT:
RTEXT:
ATEXT:
LWPOLYLINE:

Entities we do not currently support:
SEQEND:
VERTEX:
RAY:
SHAPE:
TRACE:
BLOCK:
ENDBLK:
INSERT:
ATTDEF:
ATTRIB:
SEQEND:
DIMENSION:
VIEWPORT:
SOLID3D:
XLINE:
LEADER:
TOLERANCE
MLINE:
BODY:
REGION:
buckie

Help with .dwg import

Post by buckie »

Sure would like to see direct import of Inventor files without going to STL.
DareBee

Help with .dwg import

Post by DareBee »

We would all like direct import from our design software.
Ill put my 2 cents in for SolidWorks.
MecSoft Support

Help with .dwg import

Post by MecSoft Support »

SolidWorks direct import is already included in VisualMill 5.0. However it is an extra cost item priced at $500. If you purchase this module you will be able to read in Parasolid, Solid Works and Solid Edge files without translation.

Autodesk Inventor files, we are currently looking at this. May or may not make it to the next release.
GreggT

Help with .dwg import

Post by GreggT »

I'm with Buckie, bring on the Inventor files!!!!!

GreggT
Randy Fowler

Help with .dwg import

Post by Randy Fowler »

Well, I'll throw my hat into the ring with all the other Inventor folks. Lots of people with legacy AutoCAD files are taking advantage of the Autodesk pricing deals and buying into Inventor. The Inventor user base may be growing rapidly........
GreggT

Help with .dwg import

Post by GreggT »

Randy

I've been using Inventor for many moons. It's a damn good tool. Hope you have as good an experience as I have.

GreggT
erokc

Help with .dwg import

Post by erokc »

Does anyone have experience with both SolidWorks and Inventor? I have some experience with SolidWorks and have used AutoCAD (2D) for 15 years. I'm thinking if there is simular user interface with Inventor that would be an advantage.

How difficult is Inventor to use?

I need to make a decision on what to use.

Dave
Randy Fowler

Help with .dwg import

Post by Randy Fowler »

Dave,
I started using Inventor about 1 month ago. It is awesome, although it is quite a different animal than ACAD. I had never used a parametric modeling program, so I had to unlearn the ACAD mindset, but i'll never go back now. The user interface is NOT commandline driven as in ACAD. You'll find it is quite similar to solid works actually. A couple of the guys in my department who had been solidworks users have switched to inventor for the large knowledge base and discussion group similar to mecsoft on steroids.

Hope this helps. If you have any more specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Randy Fowler
GreggT

Help with .dwg import

Post by GreggT »

Dave;

I've been using Inventor for about 4 years. It is a great tool and from what I hear so are Solid Works, Solid Edge, Wildfire, IronCAD, Rhino, etc. Inventor is not AutoCAD, If you decide to start using any of these tools the best thing for you to do is forget you ever new AutoCAD until you need to use it for something ;>).... I love Inventor as a design tool and can't wait until VM has a dirrect link. I hope you choose Inventor but won't hold it against you if another tool suites your needs better for what ever reason. In my experience choices about CAD/CAM/and software in general are usually driven be politics, not actual performance. Most tools perform well or they just wouldn't be in the market for any extended time. Checkout www.sdotson.com and www.cbliss.com for some Inventor related paraphanelia.

GreggT
erokc

Help with .dwg import

Post by erokc »

I have taken a trial run with Rhino. It's user interface is much like AutoCAD. I like that because for me it's easier. The problem I encountered with Rhino was editing and object.

Say I wanted to make a hole larger for a different screw. What I understand would be required is to delete the cylinder that made the cut and draw it again. In SolidWorks you simply edit the dimension in the sketch that defines the diameter and it's done.

Some of my projects start out with AutoCAD because it's easier to define the basic 2D shape. From there it's extrude, draft, cut, etc.

I thought Rhino was going to be my choice until I encountered difficulty in editing. I do a lot of editing before a final part is done.

Dave
Randy Fowler

Help with .dwg import

Post by Randy Fowler »

Dave,
What you have described is the chief difference with commandline based CAD and parametric modeling. With all parametric modeling programs that I am aware of, you basically "jot" down your sketches and then define the dimensions and constraints later. This makes for very easy editing.

Autodesk has been running a special on the Inventor series for about 1/2 the normal price. In the series, you get Inventor, Mechanical Desktop DX, and AutoCAD 2004 in one package. It made it easy to transition to parametric modeling by being able to generate my sketch in ACAD which I was familiar and speedy with. Then import the .dwg into inventor, extrude, dimension, and constrain as required. This also enables you to build virtual assemblies that will demonstrate fit, form, and function as well as animations for customers.

Of course now, I am familiar enough with Inventor that I rarely open up an ACAD session unless I'm working with legacy data.

Randy

[Edited by Randy Fowler on 28-Apr-04 03:03]
DareBee

Help with .dwg import

Post by DareBee »

I also was an AutoCad user.
Since I switched to SolidWorks as my primary I cant even force myself back to the mindset of AutoCad. I find that if a customer sends me an Acad print that needs modified it is quicker for me to open it with SolidWorks and convert it to model for modifying than tring to detune myself to Acad mentality.
If the part can be machined with 2.5d in VM5 directly dropping the Acad or dxf in is really simple to work with.
buckie

Help with .dwg import

Post by buckie »

For Gregg T-I just got an E-mail and an announcement on both the Inventor and Rhino forums eluding to an effort to make Rhino and IV more interoperable. Maybe Visual Mill will be included!