FreakCircle Again

All topics related to RhinoCAM
FrankS

FreakCircle Again

Post by FrankS »

dear mecsoft team,

after a while of absence the "freak circle"-segment appeared again.

Workflow:
- import solidworks-part
- use the following marco to create crvs form planar srfs
!_DupFaceBorder Pause
_SimplifyCrv

Bug description:
There is a quarter-circle ramp which ends up at a linear segment.
There shouldn't be a circle at all. (see jpeg)
Neither should there be a full circle (violating the profile crv, damaging the workpiece).
There should not be any movements in the code that cannot be seen in RC (WYSIWYG).

Pls open the .iso file to find the freak circle segment in line N000430 G2 Y80.767596 I-11.600454 J-0.000443 F2500

I thought we fixed this on our end by always running _SimplifyCrv on all input crvs.
In this case it seems _SimplifyCrv don't affect anything.
Exploding and re-joining works though, but hey, ... this can't be a serious solution.

ok, i just found a tiny circle segment by zooming in to the corner where ramp and straight line connect.
Why is this segment output as a full circle?

Could this be an error that is in our PP-config file?
I remember the full circle is only happening because the G2 line is missing the end point of the arc.
Or is this to be fixed in RC?

Attached pls find:
- Screenshot
- Photo of workpiece
- Rhino file
- PP-config file
- posted NC file

best,
frank
Attachments
FreakCircle_Again_110809.zip
(891.5 KiB) Downloaded 848 times
FreakCircle_Again_110809.JPG
FreakCircle_Again_110809.JPG (725.17 KiB) Viewed 9944 times
FreakCircle_Again_110809.png
FreakCircle_Again_110809.png (57.81 KiB) Viewed 9944 times
MecSoft Support

Re: FreakCircle Again

Post by MecSoft Support »

We see the tiny arc being created in the profile toolpath at the end of ramp motion. We have made a note of this bug and reported it to our development team. As this shows up in the toolpath, this is not an issue with the post processor.

The problem does not seem to appear in Rhino 4.0 & only shows up Rhino 5.0 Beta after running the _SimplifyCrv command.

Rather than having to explode and joining the curve, as a workaround change the start point of the curve using _CrvSeam command in Rhino (Curve->Curve Edit Tools ->Adjust Closed Curve Seam).
Regenerate the toolpath and the tiny arc is no longer being created on the profile toolpath.
FrankS

Post by FrankS »

thanks for your feedback.
As this shows up in the toolpath, this is not an issue with the post processor.
It does show up as an tiny, almost straight arc (which wouldn't harm), not as a full circle...
Rather than having to explode and joining the curve, as a workaround change the start point of the curve using _CrvSeam command in Rhino (Curve->Curve Edit Tools ->Adjust Closed Curve Seam).
Regenerate the toolpath and the tiny arc is no longer being created on the profile toolpath.
I think i don't have to explain (again) that software workarounds don't help if your workpiece has just gotten screwed up. It always too late. I see the error only when my workpiece is damaged. I would need advanced fortune telling technology in order to estimate which _CrvSeam to edit (since simulation doesn't see this).
The problem does not seem to appear in Rhino 4.0 & only shows up Rhino 5.0 Beta after running the _SimplifyCrv command.
Really, i had this dozens of times in Rhino4 (before i introduced _SimplifyCrv).
This bug is around for years. Though it shows up rarely.

best,
frank
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

This problem has been fixed in the Beta and will show up in the next release. We are testing this right now and if everything works fine we will back port the fix to the released product and make it available. Thanks for pointing out the bug.
FrankS

Post by FrankS »

thanks a lot!
looking forward.

cheers,
frank
ryan

Post by ryan »

Is the fix close to being ported back and an update for RhinoCAM 2?

we see this regularly, at least 10-15 times a week.

thank you.
ryan
Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Administrator »

No sorry, it will not be back ported to VM 6.0 or RC 2.0. Unfortunately the product architecture has changed that will not allow us to do the back porting.