RhinoCam 2.0 Renders Slowwwly

All topics related to RhinoCAM
kjhuebner

RhinoCam 2.0 Renders Slowwwly

Post by kjhuebner »

I just purchased rhinocam 2.0 and upgraded to rhinocad 4.0.

However, I find that when I add a Part Box Stock using Rhinocam, the rendering process slows down to the point where the RhinoCam/Cad is unusable! The addition of the part box (rendered as a tan box) seems to truly slow my machine down. I have tried various rendering options within RhinoCad without luck.

Yet rendering within RhinoCad (without using any features of RhinoCam such as Part Box,etc.) works fine--that is, rendering is extremely speedy without issues. So the video hardware and Open GL seems to work fine.

I am now having seconds thoughts about my purchase of the plug-in. I should have went with the standalone Mecsoft software.

Perhaps I need more memory, but I question if my issue is as simple as that.

My resources:
CPU - Pentium 1.6Ghz, 512megabytes RAM
Rhinocad 4.1403
RhinoCam 2.0.214

If anyone has a solution, please let me know.

Thanks,
Ken H.
Attachments
RhinoCam Rendering Problem.doc
Snapshot of rendering part box
(94 KiB) Downloaded 678 times
Mitch Heynick

Post by Mitch Heynick »

Hi,

Posting a Word doc with an image is not going to help us much unfortunately. It would be better if you posted the 3dm file.

It is also possible to post images without putting them into Word...

Last - when you say Rhino 4.1403 - what does that mean? Rhino versions are referenced by service releases - Rhino 4 SR3, 4a, 5b, etc. We are currently up to 6 and 7 is almost out.

I do suspect it is that your computer is just not up to the display task of showing a semi-transparent stock. From the specs you gave does appear pretty old, it's going to have problems running both Rhino4 and RhinoCAM unless your files are pretty simple and you keep your stuff in wireframe. You didn't post your graphics card, but if it's the same age as the computer, even a good one of that period is extremely weak by today's standards.

--Mitch
postalgbv

Post by postalgbv »

do you have Rhinocam Basic or Pro? I use Basic and the stock display is SLOOOOOW. They use a different stock display in the Pro version (which is used in the demo if you try the demo) that works much faster.

I totally understand paying more for a higher version to expand machining features/toolpath routines or g-code editing, but it seems silly to make the lower version handicapped in one of the most basic functions of the plugin (stock display).
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

Try setting the Simulation Accuracy to Standard in the Simulation Preferences dialog. Also make sure you turn off the display of the stock when you are programming and display stock only in the simulation Tab. This should at least not slow your display down when you are programming.

Regarding postalgbv's comment about "handicapping the Basic" product this is not a ploy to get users to upgrade to the higher priced Pro product. The difference is due to the fact we use a 3rd party simulation library (from Machineworks) in the Pro product and we have to pay royalties for using this component. This component renders about 2-5 times faster than our homegrown simulation component that is used in the Basic product. BTW, we have recently made this component available as a separate add-on that can be purchased as an add-on to the Basic product. Please contact our sales department for additional information.
postalgbv

Post by postalgbv »

interesting, I did not know that.. I knew it came with 4th axis add-on or Pro. I made my comments with the assumption that you owned the technology. I understand the extra cost if you are licensing it from a 3rd company. thanks.