Terrain Map - Using Rhino

All topics related to RhinoCAM
MADDIE1234

Terrain Map - Using Rhino

Post by MADDIE1234 »

We have been offered an opportunity to produce a terrain map of a local disposal site. The survey information is to be produced by GPS, resulting in .tin files. The objective is to use Rhino, cutting on a Shopsabre. We have not produced a terrrain map before using Rhino, it is our first attempt.

If you are familiar with or have experience producing terrain maps or terrain models using Rhino I would appreciate having the benefit of speaking with you. This will be my first attempt at the aforementioned, I have many questions. Where do I begin? Thank you advance for your assistance. Mark Wilson (907) 250-1948
Mitch Heynick

Post by Mitch Heynick »

I do this from time to time. There are many ways to attack the problem, but they are related to both the result you want as well as the material you're cutting and capacity of your machine.

First, you will need to get the TIN data into Rhino. Since Rhino does not import TIN files directly, You can try to find something that can convert your file into one of the mesh or point formats Rhino or RhinoTerrain (read on) can read. If so, you can you can skip the next few paragraphs.

If you can't find a way to get a mesh imported, you may need to convert that into some sort of points file (.xyz, .asc, or even .csv perhaps) - Excel might help here. Once you have the data in a format that Rhino can open, you can read in the file as a point cloud or just a collection of points (beware if there are a lot of points, it will use up huge amounts of memory, point clouds take up far less memory space).

Now, you need to convert that point cloud into a mesh. You could try the native Rhino MeshFromPoints command, but I never have had a very good experience with it. Another thing to try is MeshPatch, I get better results with that.

To use some real terrain tools you can either try David Rutten's Pointset Reconstruction plug-in (free)

http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/ ... ction.html

or download the trial version of RhinoTerrain (which is what I use professionally). www.rhinoterrain.com

OK, once you have a mesh in Rhino representing your terrain map, the rest is easy. All you have to do is use the normal RhinoCAM tools - roughing, finishing, etc. just like any other part. The trick will be how much relief you have and if it can be made in one block with your machine and tools. If not, you will need to slice the model up into smaller bits and put them back together later.

You can also go about this in a 2D manner, use the Contour command in Rhino to slice the terrain into topographic lines, then cut either the individual slices in thin material and asemble them, or cut a stepped model into one large block with RhinoCAM's pocketing and profiling tools.

HTH, --Mitch
MADDIE1234

Terrain Map Pointset Reconstruction

Post by MADDIE1234 »

Mitch-
I downloaded the Pointset Reconstruction.zip file and extracted it but couldn't get the tool bar to come up in Rhino 4. I am assuming I have to extract the file to a particular location.
MADDIE1234

Conference

Post by MADDIE1234 »

We have several questions beyond those of my most recent post. Would it be possible to speak to you directly? If so, we will arrange a specific time to accommodate your schedule and initiate the call from our end to negate any out of pocket expense on your part. thx, Mark Wilson/Gary Wolf 907-150-1948
MADDIE1234

Phone Number

Post by MADDIE1234 »

907-250-1948 Mark Wilson
[email protected]