Mesh density for organic machining & Running Out Virtual

All topics related to RhinoCAM
ToyMaker

Mesh density for organic machining & Running Out Virtual

Post by ToyMaker »

I’m wondering if anyone has any formula for calculating the optimum mesh density for doing organic parts, models and sculpture type machining.

On most jobs I end up with very dense meshes that are “usually to high” and end up with problems. I would like to come up with some sort of formula to figure this out. If I have to reduce mesh density how much is to much? I’ve been doing this for a long time but never figured out how dense a mesh really needs to be at a particular scale. Most of the stuff I do is toy size. You can check out what I do at www.bntstudios.com. In the end I end up running out of virtual memory.

Any info would be great. Please refrain from the typical “if it LOOKS dense enough its good” answers, not to be rude. Not what I’m looking for.

• I’m using Rhino CAM on a 2.4 GB duel Xeon processor system, windows XP sp3
• RAM “I think I have 4 GB installed, cant remember” I’m a bit confused because this is how it reads in system properties ( 2.39 GHz, 3.37 GB of RAM)???
• I am constantly running out of Virtual Memory. Will more ram help this? OR is Windows limited to 2 GB?
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

Hi,
you probably will have to wait for the 64 bit version of Rhino to solve your problems. Yes 32 bit applications are restricted to 2 Gig of virtual memory. So even if you have over 2 Gig of RAM Rhino or RC itself cannot access over 2 Gig of memory. What the additional amount of memory will help you with is allow multiple applications to run simultaneously.
ToyMaker

Post by ToyMaker »

•That’s what I expected. Is there any development progress on a 64 bit RC or Rhino that you know of?

•So for running tool path will more ram help at all?

•What can I do to make sure I am allotting the maximum amount of memory to RC for generating tool path?

•Any thoughts or input on the mesh density question? Not sure who im talking to but can you ask Joe and the other guys on this for me?
Paraglobal

Post by Paraglobal »

Hi ToyMaker

I really like your work, great stuff.
I think you can download rhino64 bit beta allredy, but Rhinocam...

Rhino mesh aren't very optimized, my sugestion for FAST workarround is to download a demo of MOI3D, I have tested the mesher and is very good.

Maybe you can have good detail models and don't make so much ram memory, I have made some models were to export from Rhino and because OBJ limits the mesh would get splitted and very heaby with Rhino, in MOI the file was 12 mb and smooth and Rhino the same file was 40MG and good in some areas and not soo good in other areas.

Sorry for the bad english

regards
Sergio

[email protected]
ToyMaker

Post by ToyMaker »

Hi Sergio,

I’m not familiar with the MO13D program you talking about. Can you give me a web site? Are you referring to Modo?

The actual process of crating the mesh is not so much the thing im trying to work out. Its more about how much density is just the right amount. How much it TOO much? And how much is to little.

Thanks
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

Hi Toymaker,

I believe Sergio is talking about this product: http://moi3d.com/

Your question on what density of mesh is the right amount is really not easy to answer. It really depends on your application and your experience on what type of finishes you get with different mesh densities. The only visual cues that you can get from the software is "how it looks" when you have flat shading mode turned on.

Also as Sergio points out different products will produce different quality meshes. So one product might be able to produce a mesh that is of lesser density but satisfies your quality requirements because it has a more efficient mesher.

There are no easy answers here as you see.

Regarding the 64 bit version of RC, we are working on it currently and you should see a version in the next few months.