lines / tolerance ?

All topics related to RhinoCAM
postalgbv

lines / tolerance ?

Post by postalgbv »

I have a very simple curve (black curve), and when I use Rhinocam 2, I see it creates the gray colored line to make it's toolpaths off of. Why is it like this? If I make an engrave toolpath it follows the gray line, not the black original curve.
Attachments
lines.jpg
lines.jpg (65.04 KiB) Viewed 8829 times
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

If you are using the On condition engraving this should not happen and it should follow the curve exactly. Please send us the file to that you are using [email protected] and we will take a look at it.
postalgbv

Post by postalgbv »

I sent a file to you. I also noticed that this gray line seems to be off the original curve by up to several thousandths in some places. The tolerance and file unit precision don't seem to make a difference.
postalgbv

Post by postalgbv »

Looks like this was fixed on the newest update. I assume it is what you meant by faceting bug on toolpath in the Changes.pdf..

thanks!

Also, good addition to highlight the selected region in MOP.
postalgbv

Post by postalgbv »

I take that back. I am still finding an issue.. When I place text as curves, then select them and do Engrave, the toolpath seems to cut the sharp corners short. If I explode then rejoin the text curves, and regenerate the toolpath, it seems to correct it.

Why is Rhinocam seeing these 2 scenarios differently? I noticed it is similar to Mitch's problem the other week, where if you explode and then rejoin it works correctly. I notice the Rhino object properties change when you do this. Why is this?
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

We will take a look at this. Can you in the meantime post a simple file which illustrates this problem? Thanks.
postalgbv

Post by postalgbv »

here is a file. Added the letter R as curves and used it to engrave. To see the difference, select the R and explode, then immediately rejoin. Regenerate the toolpath (probably have to reselect the curves). You will see that it now sets a toolpath point on the sharp points.

Granted, we are talking very small tolerances here and probably doesn't matter much, but it seems like the behavior should be like the second example, at least to me.

Eric
Attachments
toolpath error1.3dm
(61.55 KiB) Downloaded 783 times
toolpath after explode and join.3dm
(66.79 KiB) Downloaded 787 times