Creating a User defined tool in RhinoCAM

All topics related to RhinoCAM
Mitch Heynick

Creating a User defined tool in RhinoCAM

Post by Mitch Heynick »

I don't know how this is supposed to work... I created the profile according to the directions I've had for Visual Mill... Draw the profile to the centerline (don't know if its supposed to be open or closed, I tried all possibilities) on the XY plane with the axis on Y, the tip at 0. Save as 3dm (there is no possibility to create .mrg files as I can see). Go to Tool library, click on user defined tool, browse to the 3dm file I just created (there is only possibility to import 3dm in the dialog) select it, whn you hit OK in the tool libray RhinoCAM winks out... gone.

This happens on both XP and Vista. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

--Mitch
Mitch Heynick

Post by Mitch Heynick »

Hello... ? Sorry to be in a hurry here, but I would like a response soon, as the (potential) client I was demoing the feature to when it crashed would like to know how it works - or if it works... Thanks. --Mitch
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

Mitch,
This been fixed and will be available in the upcoming update. Drop us an email to [email protected] and we can send you a link to download the pre-release update.
FYI: The crash does not occur when units is set to Inches.
Mitch Heynick

Post by Mitch Heynick »

OK, thanks for your quick response!

Is there somewhere in the Help for either VM 6 or RC 2 where the procedure for defining a custom tool is described? I couldn't find it. I wanted to send something to the customer (I need to translate it as well).

A long time ago, there was a post - perhaps here in the forum - which explained how to do it, but for RC 1.0 or VM 5... I copied the post at the time and put it on the RhinoCAM page on the Rhino WIKI:

Using the user defined tool tab to create custom tools

Question - How is the user defined tool tab in the tool definition setup used? Is it possible to generate custom profile tools using this feature in RhinoCam from tool drawings?

Answer - User defined tools can be created and used in RhinoCAM in 2-1/2 axis profiling operations only. To create a user defined tool follow these steps:

1. Draw the profile of the tool in the XY plane (only to the centerline, i.e. half profile)

2. Make sure the starting point is at 0,0

3. Save the file as .mrg (using export region in the file menu). Make sure that this is the only region in the file before exporting. This file will be the tool profile file.

4. In the Create/Select Tools menu – select User Defined Mill tool

5. Select a name for the user-defined tool and enter the relevant information and comments. Parameter for the tool diameter should be twice the profile radius. You can also input a different tool diameter if you need a different size tool. The system computes the tool diameter as the twice largest X coordinate in the tool profile. It will then scale the profile by (input diameter/computed diameter). Example: if the input diameter is same as computed diameter then the scale factor is one.

6. Provide the path to the user-defined tool profile file

7. Save as a new tool

Use the tool in 2-1/2 axis profiling operations.

The problem is that there is no longer a possibility to create .mrg files in RC2, so I assume it works with a normal .3dm...? (once the crash bug is fixed) If there are any more corrections to the above procedure, let me know and I will update the Rhino WIKI - and again, it would be good if this can go in the Help somewhere, with a screenshot or two...

Thx, --Mitch
MecSoft Support

Mitch,

Changes in RhinoCAM 2.0 from 1.0 for creating a user defined tool.
- Step 3: select the profile of the tool created in the XY plane, from the Rhino menu bar use File->Export Selected and save this as a Rhino (*.3dm) file.
- Step 4: From the Cutting Tools Browser under the Create/Select Tools menu – select User Defined Mill tool.
Mitch Heynick

Post by Mitch Heynick »

OK, thanks much! Can you confirm that:

1) you do not have to draw the centerline (on the Y axis) - the profile is meant to be open

2) you start at 0,0 and end at... X0, Y(length of the tool) - or can the end point be off the Y axis? In other words does the "top" end of the tool need to come back to the Y axis?

Thx, --Mitch
MecSoft Support

Mitch,

1) - Yes this is correct.
2) - Top end of the tool needs to come back to Y axis.
Attachments
UserDefinedTool.jpg
UserDefinedTool.jpg (22.63 KiB) Viewed 15341 times
Mitch Heynick

Post by Mitch Heynick »

OK, thanks a bunch, I'll try to get the mods up on the Rhino Wiki asap (right now the page is locked due to spamming) - and I think I'll "steal" your screenshot and put it up there if I can as well. --Mitch
MecSoft Support

This issue with user defined tool not being created in mm files has been fixed in RhinoCAM 2.0.1.12

For more information check the announcement at:

http://www.mecsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1691