inside sharp corners on v-carve

All topics related to RhinoCAM
postalgbv

inside sharp corners on v-carve

Post by postalgbv »

Is it possible to have a vcarve that has inside corners sharp? If you do a chamfer MOP, you can see what I mean by sharp inside corner. Vcarve rounds these corners always, is there a way to change the behavior?
Attachments
vcarv.jpg
vcarv.jpg (75.43 KiB) Viewed 8417 times
cham.jpg
cham.jpg (58.03 KiB) Viewed 8417 times
postalgbv

Post by postalgbv »

just to clarify, the lower right area (the part with text on it) is to be thrown away and not used.
joe gay

sharp corners

Post by joe gay »

I think Rhinocam does not do sharp inside corners. I have had the same problems in pocketing in 21/2 D. I have spoken with Uday about this problem and have tried his suggestions but they did not cure the problem of rounded inside corners.

The g-code should be all g-1 for direction but the code rcam produces includes I and J comands which round the corners off. I have tried useing different posts but they all have had the same rounded off results.

The obvious delay in a response by Mecsoft indicates to me that this is a problem that they are haveing a tough time resolving. They usually respond within a day or two if no one in the forum has a fix.

Let us know if you are close to a fix.

Just Waiting Around,

Joe
postalgbv

Post by postalgbv »

It seems like it would be easy fix.. wouldn't it be just a matter of offsetting the toolpaths with sharp corners instead of doing it with round corners, just as simply as the Rhino offset command does? If Rhinocam uses Rhino's offsetting function to do the offsets, it seems easy, but I might be overlooking something.

There are uses for both ways, so it would be great to have a check box or some option in the vcarve dialog.
joe gay

square corners

Post by joe gay »

I have reviewed the instructions Uday gave and found I was using regular pocketing instead of advanced pocketing. I re-ran the program and the corners came out square. I still don't like that the regular pocketing program will add rounded corners to a drawing that has square ones, if I want round corners I will draw it that way.

The advanced pocketing should not be neccesary for a simple drawing, so lets keep it simple.

Even though I complain some I have to say Mecsoft and Uday have been very helpful.

Joe
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

RhinoCAM or VisualMILL do not handle sharp corners and will round all corners. This would be an enhancement to our offset algorithms to be able to do this. I will add this to our enhancements list.