Request - disabling drag on objects used in MOps

All topics related to RhinoCAM
Mitch Heynick

Request - disabling drag on objects used in MOps

Post by Mitch Heynick »

Hi,

Would like to have an option in preferences that allows the user to disable dragging on objects that are currently used in a machining operation. The objects would still be able to be moved by using Move or any other transformation command. Objects not associated with MOps would be unaffected.

This could avoid a certain number of worries, as once you just click on a MOp in the tree, in a number of cases, the associated objects are active and selected and can be accidentally dragged.

Objects associated with MOps are not always selected when the op is clicked on in the tree, I don't know what the "rules" for this are - profiles for 2D ops seem to always be, 3D objects/ops sometimes. But there is enough risk here to warrant this IMO. It already happened to me once. If objects are "automatically" selected by clicking on a MOp, they can also get accidentally included in another selection and get moved. None of this is very safe, so I would think that this option would be a welcome one.

I guess the other alternative is simply to make sure that when a MOp is clicked on, that the associated objects are highlighted so you can see them, but not selected... if that's possible. --Mitch
donl517

Post by donl517 »

Hey Mitch,

This was a problem in VM6 as well, Mecsoft added an option to disable dragging on selected items. It is in the preferences page in VM6.

One of there posts yesterday said that from here on out the two programs would be quite similar, so it may already be there. Not sure though.

HTH,
Don
Mitch Heynick

Post by Mitch Heynick »

Hi Don,

No, in RhinoCAM, there is no setting for this. In Rhino you cannot completely disable object dragging (I don't want to anyway), but you can make it very difficult...

However, all I want is for profiles involved in MOps not to move accidentally... for obvious reasons.

Also because if you do accidentally move them, even if you realize what has happened, the operation is flagged as needing a regen... And Undo does not correct the situation.

--Mitch
ryan

Post by ryan »

wasn't the behavior in 1.0 like this?
if you selected a MOP in the tree it would highlight the geometry associated. then when you clicked back into the viewport, it would deselect the geometry?

I can't put my finger on exactly what is funky about how and when geometry is highlighted or selected when working in the OPS browser and also in the selecting regions window.

hopefully I didn't hijack this thread with this post, it seems to be related in an indirect way.
Mitch Heynick

Post by Mitch Heynick »

Hey Ryan,
wasn't the behavior in 1.0 like this?
if you selected a MOP in the tree it would highlight the geometry associated. then when you clicked back into the viewport, it would deselect the geometry?
It may have been, I don't remember... However, just because it was that way in RC 1.0 doesn't mean that's the way it should stay in RC 2.0... --Mitch
ryan

Post by ryan »

I think my reply was presented wrong, I wasn't implying that what you had written was the behavior in 1.0.

I guess it should have been,

"wasn't the behavior in 1.0 like this, if you selected a MOP in the tree it would..."

sorry about that. :oops: