Installer, settings, preferences, etc.

All topics related to RhinoCAM
Mitch Heynick

Installer, settings, preferences, etc.

Post by Mitch Heynick »

First, thanks for making the installer automatically remove the old version… much better!

Now…

Is there any way that one’s preferences from previous versions could be retained when installing updates (machining and color preferences, tool libraries, etc.) – every time I install an update I have to re-set everything. I wasn’t able to find any registry entry that had the settings either under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MecSoft Corporation or Rhino/Plug-ins…

Perhaps the options could be in an .ini file accessible to the user and able to be re-imported?

MOps Entry/Exit settings: Would like these to be retained BETWEEN files and BETWEEN sessions – i.e. always revert to last used. Or, failing that, a separate entry in the preferences box which would allow the user to specify how they want the default entry/exit settings. I also personally think that if there is no previous entry that all should be set to “0” – I hate it when someone tries to “suggest” what a good starting value should be... Why should entries like 6.35 and 20° be default?

In general, as with entry/exit, I would like entries in the MOps like intol/outtol, stock to leave, etc. to "stick" as well. Again, if the default settings can't be made to stick to the user's preferences, I would rather see them default to 0 instead of some value that someone else thinks is a good starting point...

Thanks, --Mitch
donl517

Post by donl517 »

This isn't just a RC problem, VM6 has the same issue. everytime you install an update you lose everything.

I also agree with Mitch on the user defined settings. I'd rather see 0 as the default than some arbitrary number someone else thinks is a good starting point, but most of all I want it to remember my preferences!

Thanks,
Don
ryan

Post by ryan »

hopefully Mitch's voice will be heard. You seem to get a better response from support than I do. ;-)
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

Ryan, believe me it is not personal. What gets implemented when is not based on who is requesting. It is purely based on our internal prioritization.