? about Profiling Pockets with Islands

All topics related to RhinoCAM
ryan

? about Profiling Pockets with Islands

Post by ryan »

i use pocketing to cut text into material, then i come back and run a profile cut on the top most edge of the pocket to clean up, is there a trick to getting the profile to run on the inside of the text without having to change the curve direction of the islands?

i was using engraving with "to" before with a real small pretend bit, because I would get the same effect without having to worry about the curve direction when selecting the regions.

thanks.
Attachments
profile.rar
(475.63 KiB) Downloaded 688 times
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

Right now we cannot do this. I guess the option to use would be to use Inside/Outside for closed curves but Profiling looks at each curve in isolation. Maybe we need an option that would treat closed curves the same way as in Pocketing. Would this work for you?
ryan

Post by ryan »

yes, that would work wonderfully, thank you.
Mitch Heynick

Post by Mitch Heynick »

I guess the option to use would be to use Inside/Outside for closed curves but Profiling looks at each curve in isolation. Maybe we need an option that would treat closed curves the same way as in Pocketing.
Yes, we really need this.

1) the entire selection in any given profiling op should be looked at in the same way pocketing is, that is to say that there should be gouge checking performed between all the elements selected... !

2) for closed curves, the option to run inside or outside should be available, and the cut direction determined by the choice of climb vs. conventional milling.

To avoid confusion, you might need to disallow the selection of both open and closed profiles at the same time, perhaps at the moment "inside/outside" is checked, that open profiles can't be selected anymore. Or, I guess you just ignore the inside/outside setting for any open curves found... --Mitch
ryan

Post by ryan »

Is this on the plate for a future update?
Thanks.