awesome stuff

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
obwan425

awesome stuff

Post by obwan425 »

Mecsoft,

Today I was challenged with an interesting task..I had to spin 26 1 inch diameter ejector pin holes into a mold from the front,as it was to thick to accurately do from the back..Anyone who has machined ejector pins from the front of a mold knows what a pain in the but this is due to the constantly changing surface geometry,nothings flat!!!!Well I was provided with the 2d data(flat)along with the 3d data.I was kind of scratching my head thinking of a quick efficient way to get all of my z start numbers as the mold surface is all over the map when it hit me...I opened the 3d surface in rhino,imported the 2d in over top of that,I created a point at the center of each hole,selected all points and projected them up to the mold surface.then I created a 1 inch diameter circle at the new points.Once I exported the new circles into visualmill I just used the z "start" for the job for all of my tool pick-ups..As visualmill picks up the geometry for x,y and z for 2d work my cutter,drill and reamer knew exactly where to start.

What a trip it was watching my profile cut know exactly where to start and changing z and jumping all over the mold..It was amazing to me that I have this much functionality.

Needless to say I will be doing this procedure for all of my 2d mold work from now on,projecting 2d info onto 3d: guide pins,return pins,ejector pins, hot drops,whatever....

Just wanted to say thanks Mecsoft for making this possible for me the rhino/visualmill bundle is awesome stuff.

Greg
GreggT

awesome stuff

Post by GreggT »

Greg

You should put this in "Toot your Horn" and "Tips and tricks" for easy searching and just to get that other forumn started.

Congrats on figuring this out, can you explain it better to a simpleton like myself so I can use it to?

Thanks and keep up the good work.

GreggT
obwan425

awesome stuff

Post by obwan425 »

Thanks,I will put it in tips and tricks soon!

GREG