Big problems with profiling in RhinoCam

All topics related to RhinoCAM
briank

Big problems with profiling in RhinoCam

Post by briank »

I have been having a lot of problems with profiling in RhinoCam with tools that take odd paths and gouge the part. Here is one example:

I have some round holes with flat sides to cut for toggle switches that have flats on the sides, basically curved on the top, curved on the bottom, with straight lines joining the sides. A "D" shaped hole would give the same problem.

What the tool should do is enter inside the hole and just follow the profile all the way around the profile then exit. What it is doing is making four separate entries and exits, one for each segment. The entries and exits for the flat sides gouge the curved parts, and the entries and exits for the curved parts gouge the flat parts. Making the entries and exits zero length still gives me four separate cuts and overshoots each end and is still gouging.

I have figured out that the program is cutting out the material in the corners instead of leaving the radius due to the round tool there. I did some experimenting with square holes and they cut just fine. I tried corner rounding and it did not fix anything. it rounded the square holes more, but did nothing to my round/flat holes. Any suggestions?

Why in the world is the program not smart enough to just not cut into the part where it should not cut? Obviously, if the model has material in an area and it knows that it is cutting that material out it should know that there is a problem.
donl517

Post by donl517 »

Brian,

Can you post an example file?

Thanks,
Don
briank

Post by briank »

I tried to put on an attachment, but it would not let me. For some reason it is now.
Attachments
sample hole.3dm
(55.63 KiB) Downloaded 810 times
sample hole.3dm
(55.63 KiB) Downloaded 825 times
donl517

Post by donl517 »

Brian,

I think the problem you are having is because it is viewing the 4 curves as 4 seperate profiles. Select the 4 curves and run the Join command and see if it works any better for you.

HTH,
Don
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

Yes if you join the curves then RhinoCAM will treat it as one entity.
briank

Post by briank »

Works perfect now. Thanks.