Set MCS - bug or as designed?

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Hi all,
If I insert a "Set MCS" at the beginning of my Machining Operations,right after the main "machining operations" folder in the browser, it does not get used on the first MOP. any successive MOP's do use it untill I change it again, but the first MOP seems to get "Leap frogged".. Bug or no??

Thanks
Denis
leo

Post by leo »

Hi

This works Ok in my VM 5.0.2.0
(If what you mean is that X,Y,Z coordinates of the tool path are relative to MCS.)
Do you use the latest service release? I modified twice the MCS and get OK results when I regenerate the MOPS. The MOPS will not change the colour to red when you change or insert a MCS or a new MOPS or a rotate table operation or move the inside order of operations. You have to keep track for this kind of changes and regenerate the following MOPS which can be affected of the previous MOPS.
Leo
Denis

Post by Denis »

Strange..
now I can't get it to work at all...
I draw a simple square with an assortment of holes..
The origin of the square is in the south west corner..
I perform a drilling MOP on a couple of the holes..
All X & Y locations are positive..This is all well..
Now I Insert a Set MCS to the north west corner of the square and repeat process..All my Y values should be negative right? Not the case!
I've tried to regenerate, generate all, reorganize..to no avail..
The posted code and the tool path editor both show all positive Y values..I really seem to be missing something here..
hmmmm
And Yes I am on VM 5.0.2.0
Denis

[Edited by Denis on 06-Jan-04 06:05]
leo

Post by leo »

Hi,
You are right. I draw in VM the way you mention and get same result as you. I couldn’t make the MCS work. Something is not OK.

I made a second test by sending a part from Rhino. In this case I copy paste the first operation regenerate both and they worked ok. In my previous test I tried an old VM part just including a MCS and worked.
Leo