dynasets not supported by ODBC driver

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
striplar

dynasets not supported by ODBC driver

Post by striplar »

Both my computers have just started complaining about this in the past few days. I've gone to the Sentinel page and installed V7.6.9 which is the latest dongle driver and it makes no difference. I've also checked than my system never turns off the screen or hibernates.

Does anyone else have this and know why it's suddenly started happening? I'm running Windows 10 on both machines.

I have Geomagic Design 2015.1.1 64 bit and VisualCAM 5.0.0.3

I sometimes get the message that the USB device isn't recognised and then the light goes out on the dongle.

It's clearly a software issue, I've swapped the dongles between the two machines and they both behave in the same flaky way. Sometimes it's fine, then it seems to keep having problems.

Any ideas?
MecSoft Support

Re: dynasets not supported by ODBC driver

Post by MecSoft Support »

Please try the following steps and see if this resolves the issue.
1. Close the application, unplug the dongle and uninstall Sentinel Protection Installer. If you have more than one version of Sentinel Protection Installer or Sentinel System Driver, uninstall it.
2. Restart your computer. Click here to download & install Sentinel Protection Installer or Sentinel System Driver
3. Plug-in the dongle and run the application.

Our latest version uses software based license and dongle is no longer required after upgrading to the latest version. You can contact our sales department at [email protected] to obtain information on upgrading to the latest version.
striplar

Post by striplar »

Thanks for our reply. I get the message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." when I try to uninstall Sentinel Protection Installer 7.6.9

I tried using msconfig to delete the services as follows..

Sentinel LDK License Manager
Sentinel Keys Server
Sentinel Protection Server
Sentinel Security Runtime

I checked that these were definitely not running and they weren't.

It still won't let me uninstall it.

I'm using Windows 10 so I can't seem to get into it in Safe Mode like you used to be able to in previous Windows versions.
Can you tell me how to uninstall this?

I've not long since ungraded to this version so I don't intend to spend any more just to overcome this issue.
MecSoft Support

Sentinel Protection Installer v7.6.8 should be the latest version of dongle drivers.
As you seem to be having trouble uninstalling Sentinel Protection Installer, download and run the SSD cleanup utility from link we had provided earlier. Make sure the dongle is unplugged before running SSD cleanup.
striplar

Post by striplar »

When I run the installer, I get the message box attached below. I installed V7.6.9 because it appeared to be the latest version.

Anyway, I'm no further forward because it want's me to uninstall the existing driver and I can't do that.
Attachments
Sentinel protection installer.jpg
Sentinel protection installer.jpg (52.51 KiB) Viewed 17868 times
MecSoft Support

Have you tried running SSD cleanup v1.2.0.5 from https://sentinel.gemalto.com/support_an ... l_Drivers/ ?
This utility is used to uninstall drivers when you are having trouble uninstalling the drivers using programs & features - uninstall a program in Windows.
You can also refer to page 8 on the end user troubleshooting guide from the above link for additional information.
Please make sure to unplug the dongle before running SSD cleanup.
striplar

Post by striplar »

Thanks for that, I've run the SSD cleanup and it successfully uninstalled the driver. I've now installed the latest driver and so far it hasn't come up with the error, but it's way too early to say whether it's fixed or not.
I'll report back if there's still a problem later.
striplar

Post by striplar »

Ok, this seems really flaky. First thing this morning I was in a position where it didn't work at all. I repaired the installation and that didn't make any difference.
I then followed the troubleshooting guide and used the Sam1.3.1.exe which shows that it's all working correctly and the light on the dongle is on at the end of it. It now works, but for how long I wouldn't like to guess.
It seems to me there's something else that's wrong with the way the software interrogates the dongle. It's odd that it can be quite happy and then after hours of use, the system pops up with the 'Dynasets not supported by ODBC' error. This is happening on both my computers so it's not the hardware.
striplar

Post by striplar »

This is going from bad to worse... The dongle now isn't being recognised by the PC at all. You can see it being accessed with the light on the end of it blinking two or three times before the PC gives up and reports that the last device connected to the USB as not recognised. Most times the light goes out, but other times it stays on.
Either way, running Sam1.3.1.exe now reports Sentinel Key Communication with a red cross.

I've attached the log file if that helps.

Since nothing on this computer has changed except for the normal Windows 10 updates it likes to install every week or so, I can only conclude that there's something in the dongle that's incompatible with the USB standard as currently implemented by Windows 10

If I leave it five minutes and try again, it magically works, at least for a short time.

The question is, where do I go from here? The system is currently almost unusable.