New Machine Setup

All discussion related to VisualCAM for SolidWorks
MS1465513397

New Machine Setup

Post by MS1465513397 »

I am new to the VisualCAM plugin for SolidWorks 2016. What I am trying to figure out is how do I make multiple machine setup's for a single part that I am making. What I have is basically a square piece of stock that needs to be rotated multiple times to complete machining operations on each side. I was originally using the standalone product. So what I would have done before is just create a new program for each side of the part. It may have not have been the correct way to do it but it worked. In Solidworks I cant just create a new program. So in SolidWorks in the feature manager, I right click on the empty space and click on "Create new setup" and it displays a message that I "Cannot edit setups in this product configuration. Please change Machine Tool Coordinate system to machining orientation". I am at a loss as how to be able to rotate the part and have a correct machine tool orientation for each side. Any help will be appreciated.
MecSoft Support

Re: New Machine Setup

Post by MecSoft Support »

In VisualCAM for SolidWorks, you would establish the coordinate system orientation for machining using Machine Tool Coordinate System found in the Machine Tool Setup dialog. This would allow you to establish the XYZ axis orientation for the part being programmed. By default the Machine Tool Coordinate system is aligned to World Coordinate System. From this dialog you could select a surface/planar sketch (2d sketch)/plane to orient your coordinate system or by using rotate able and specify spin angle & coordinate axis.
Once the machine tool coordinate system has been defined, the default Setup (Setup 1) is set to this orientation. If you need to change the orientation of the default setup (Setup 1) you would have to go up to Machine Tool Setup and change the machine tool coordinate system setup.
Additional Coordinate System Setups can be created by selecting Setup and CSYS Setup. This is available in PRO & Premium configurations.