Help with 3D engraving

All discussion related to VisualCAM for SolidWorks
Andy Birko

Help with 3D engraving

Post by Andy Birko »

In order to do some 3D engraving, I'd like to project up to 20 lines on to a 3D surface. The location of these lines will be controlled by a spreadsheet (a linear pattern with varying distances between the lines).

First is my Solidworks problem:
Problem is that the project curve feature will only work with one line. i.e. if I put 2 or more lines onto a single sketch, it poops out and no workey. I'd have to make an independent sketch and then feature for each line I wish to project and I just gotta think that there must be an easier way.

The VisualMILL problem is that when I use the project curve feature, I can't select the projected curve unless I make a new 3D sketch and convert the entity. Am I missing something here?

When I convert the entity into a new 3D sketch, I get the exact machining results I'm looking for.

Is there some other way I could do this in VisualMill without making a curved feature in Solidworks? Perhaps something like a 3D offset pocket or something? Basically I'm looking for ways to streamline this process. Being able to select the curve entity as a region would be best.

Any Ideas?
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-10-20 at 9.44.28 AM.png
Screen shot 2011-10-20 at 9.44.28 AM.png (291.72 KiB) Viewed 9603 times
MecSoft Support

Re: Help with 3D engraving

Post by MecSoft Support »

Is there some other way I could do this in VisualMill without making a curved feature in Solidworks? Perhaps something like a 3D offset pocket or something? Basically I'm looking for ways to streamline this process. Being able to select the curve entity as a region would be best.
Use Curve Machining & select the 2d Sketch lines as your machining regions.
This method can be found under 3 axis toolpath methods & projects the toolpath to the 3d surface.
Andy Birko

Re: Help with 3D engraving

Post by Andy Birko »

Thanks, I tried that but it didn't do what I wanted.

I did figure it out though - I used some features in solidworks to make 3D curves that I could select with 2.5d engraving and VM follows the curves perfectly!!