Tools Management ?

All discussion related to VisualCAM for SolidWorks
nurk

Tools Management ?

Post by nurk »

Dear Support...

Is there any way to estimate when I have to change a tool ?
Lets say I have a component with large surface area that will need several tools to finish those surface. It will impossible to finish the surface area use single ( one ) tool. But I dont know how many tools I have to prepare ? I dont know where and when to change the tool ?

Any idea will be very good...

Thanks
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

Maybe some machinists in this forum could answer this question.
nurk

Post by nurk »

MecSoft Support wrote:Maybe some machinists in this forum could answer this question.
So there is no built in feature in VisualMill that can solve this ? In my opinion, the technology that required behind this need is low. Why you not provide us with this feature ?

Thanks
Mitch Heynick

Post by Mitch Heynick »

Well, how do you expect your CAM software to calculate tool wear? How does it know what brand/type of tool you're using? How does it know the REAL cutting conditions of your machine (vibration, coolant mix, part geometry, etc.), not just the calculated ones of feed/speed/material? These can all affect tool wear/life.

The only thing your CAM software might be able to calculate is if you gave it a certain number like maximum cutting length before tool change (based on your observations of previous operations), then the CAM software might insert tool changes when this value is reached. VisualMill cannot do this currently as far as I know.

--Mitch
nurk

Post by nurk »

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for your response...
I am know there are many variable involve in the tools life. Like you said : material, speed, machine, etc. How this feature will work is user have to input some variable that required. Please not we dont need 100 % accuracy. Even range from 70 - 80 % accuracy is ok. This is just as guidance for user.

The only thing your CAM software might be able to calculate is if you gave it a certain number like maximum cutting length before tool change (based on your observations of previous operations), then the CAM software might insert tool changes when this value is reached. VisualMill cannot do this currently as far as I know.
I think this is very good idea. Wish Mechsoft R&D team take concern on this discussion. What is your opinion ?