Does it work in assemblies?

All discussion related to VisualCAM for SolidWorks
behindpropellers

Does it work in assemblies?

Post by behindpropellers »

Got a demo this morning on your new program.

Does it work in assembly mode or just a single part?
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

No it works in Part mode only. Also why would you want CAM in assembly mode?
behindpropellers

MecSoft Support wrote:No it works in Part mode only. Also why would you want CAM in assembly mode?
I would want it to work in assembly mode so I can model my fixtures and make sure the tools do not hit the fixturing.

Tim
MecSoft Support

Is that the only reason or do you have any additional reasons? I am asking to see if we really need to implement this. When we implemented our CAM system in Alibre Design (which is also a parametric CAD modeler) this requirement had not come up as far as I can tell.
JerryFlyGuy

Assemblies

Post by JerryFlyGuy »

It's also usefull when working on say a rough casting. Rather than machine it as if it were a solid block.

Having clamps modeled in or possibly multiple parts are also good reasons to make it work in assembly mode.

I'm sure there are others :)
MecSoft Support

It's also usefull when working on say a rough casting. Rather than machine it as if it were a solid block.
In our Pro configuration you can actually create a stock model that is a constant radius offset from the part - thereby simulating a casting of the part. This stock model can be used as the starting stock in a Roughing operation. I am not sure if you need the assembly mode for this.

As for fixtures/clamps that seems to be the valid reason to do this. However at present since VisualMILL can handle clamps only as 2D containment geometry (Sketches) this becomes a moot point. At present the plans are to introduce "Avoid Regions" but again these regions will be 2-D geometry.
ftec

Post by ftec »

MecSoft Support wrote:No it works in Part mode only. Also why would you want CAM in assembly mode?
I think working with assemblies is extremely important. For instance, each time you have a welded assembly and want to machine it as a whole. Same applies to woodworking when the product is assembled of smaller parts which each have been modelled as parts and you only want to machine the assembly.
DareBee

Post by DareBee »

Just a couple of "comments" not directed at anybody in particular.
I know of a few circumstances where I have needed to machine assemblies. I have saved my assemblies as a part (yes - "save as", "part") and then imported into VM for machining. You could do this for the integrated CAM as well but the new part turns "dumb" during the save-as, which removes all features and also will not be associated with your original mechanical project anymore.

As far as stock goes, there has been a few times where I have had to model some horny looking, semi-machined part specifically to import into VM so I could make 3D toolpaths that didn't cut too much air.

If I was a conventional machine shop just working with parts this product would likely suit me well.
I find that less than 20% of my machining is making more of the same/similar parts, so associativity with a "changing" model is not important too my business.
I also find that I can program parts much more quickly by using 2.5d methods so I convert my slddrw to dwg for CAM (programming 2.5d from a dwg is super duper quick in VM).
I assume that I would lose this capability (dwg usage) by having the integrated CAM?
I am also curious as to what will happen to associativity of a toolpath edited Mop?
integratedmechanical.ca
MecSoft Support

I assume that I would lose this capability (dwg usage) by having the integrated CAM?
In the integrated CAM you can use the sketches directly for 2.5 axis operations. No need to translate the sketches to DWG.
I am also curious as to what will happen to associativity of a toolpath edited Mop?
When a sketch is changed we flag the Mop as edited. You will have to regenerate the Mop and recreate the toolpath to use the edited sketch.
DareBee

Post by DareBee »

very nice
integratedmechanical.ca
gpettit

Post by gpettit »

MecSoft, do you have any more thoughts or plans on having VisualMill for SolidWorks work in assembly mode? I also think it would be helpful if the add-on worked in assembly mode. Could help a lot with fixtures.

Thanks,
Greg
gumbyrulesyou

This is why you need to have assembly mode VM for Solidworks

Post by gumbyrulesyou »

This is why you need to have assembly mode VM for Solidworks. Not everybody does one part one setup. The router crowd needs this. It would be nice to be able to move everything around if I just need a smidge between parts. I know I can do this in the stand- alone, but the only reason I bought the solidworks plugin is because of the far superior sketching. Yes, I can save the assembly as a part and go from there, but that's not the point, because moving parts becomes an awkward pain in the a$$. JPEG is attached to this message, log in to view it.
Attachments
4x8 all sheets all parts.JPG
4x8 all sheets all parts.JPG (271.75 KiB) Viewed 22749 times
Andy Baker
Brooklyn, NY
behindpropellers

This is where HSMworks outshines VisualMill.....Assembly mode.

Hopefully they will support it soon.
MecSoft Support

We are currently looking at adding support for Assemblies. It will be in our next release, however.
behindpropellers

MecSoft Support wrote:We are currently looking at adding support for Assemblies. It will be in our next release, however.
What about using model geometry instead of sketches?

IE: Holes created with the hole wizard.

Tim