How do I CAM the holes on the front side?

All topics related to AlibreCAM

How do I CAM the holes on the front side?

Postby MS1516313359 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:56 pm

Forgive me if this is obvious, but I'm new to AlibreCAM.

I've attached a screenshot. I have AlibreCAM standard, so I understand that I can only have one Setup. However, what is the best way to program the CAM to drill the two holes on the front of the part after I'm finished cutting out the top of the part?

Thanks.
Paul Tan.
Attachments
WheelMountBlock.PNG
WheelMountBlock.PNG (95.31 KiB) Viewed 1861 times
MS1516313359

Re: How do I CAM the holes on the front side?

Postby MecSoft Support » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:20 pm

You would have to use Machine Tool Coordinate System under Machine Setup dialog and orient the coordinate system to have the Z axis normal to the front face of the part.Based on screen capture you included, rotating the X axis by 90 degrees should orient the Z axis normal to front face.
Once you have established the machine tool coordinate system setup, you can Create Stock and set Work Zero.
Attachments
MachineToolCoordinateSystemSetup.PNG
MachineToolCoordinateSystemSetup.PNG (137.23 KiB) Viewed 1855 times
MecSoft Support

Postby MS1516313359 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:14 am

But how do I generate the both setups for machining the TOP face and the FRONT face in the same CAD? In other words, I'm going to first machine the top 3 holes and the notch, then I'm going to flip the part 90 degrees in the vice and drill the two holes. How do I program multiple CAM with two different machine tool coordinate system setup using AlibreCAM standard?

So my steps would be:
1. Setup Machine Tool Coordinate system for top face.
2. Setup stock and alignment
3. Do drill operations and profile operations for top face.
4. Now I want to choose the front face (90 degrees flipped in the X) as the Machine Tool Coordinate with the same stock already set up in steps 1 & 2. How do I do this?? When I try what you suggested, it changes the Machine Tool Coordinate set from step 1, it doesn't create a new machining setup. Do I just create multiple files using Save As? Or is there a faster way?

Paul Tan.
MS1516313359

Postby MecSoft Support » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:10 pm

You would have to create multiple files one for each orientation in Standard configuration.
MecSoft Support

Postby 1350519287 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:12 am

I'm going to complain about this same issue. Since we create parts as 3D parametric drawing it's highly likely that we will have machining operations that have a part with machining operations on both sides of a part.

Creating two separate versions of the part so that the Z axis of the machine can be rotated seems to be unacceptable from a drawing maintenance perspective. It implies that a change to the drawing has to be done twice. Or if it's done the the first and then "saved as" the Alibre CAM has to be redone for the second side of the original.

We already have the ' WORK ZERO' that can exist multiple times and subsequent machining operations after each one refer to that 'WORK ZERO' Why can't we also insert "Machine 3 Axis" before or with a "work zero"? Then the single drawing is used as the starting point for _all_ machining.

I suggest this should become a feature of MecSoft CAM ASAP.

Postby MecSoft Support » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:40 pm

You can insert a Setup to program from each additional orientation and set the Z axis to be normal to face/sketch/plane or by specifying a spin angle. Setups are part of our 3+2 module and is available in PRO configuration. You can contact our sales team at sales@mecsoft.com and they can further assist you with upgrade options.
MecSoft Support

Return to AlibreCAM Topics & Support