Model definition curves produce flat facets

All topics related to AlibreCAM

Model definition curves produce flat facets

Postby striplar » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:49 am

I've set the Intol and outtol parameters to 0.001mm and the model resolution to the finest, but I still get flat facets on curved surfaces when using Parallel finishing.
Can someone tell me why that is and how I can get a curved surface?
striplar

Re: Model definition curves produce flat facets

Postby striplar » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:51 pm

Ok I've figured this out for myself. I tried clearing the 'Output arcs as linear segments' but that didn't appear to work so I set it back again. What I didn't realise is that for some reason, that doesn't take effect until you close and reopen the job! Not very well written software in my opinion!
striplar

Postby MecSoft Support » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:20 pm

You will have to regenerate the toolpath after changing the parameters in the dialog. You don't need to close and reopen the job.
MecSoft Support

Postby striplar » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:20 pm

MecSoft Support wrote:You will have to regenerate the toolpath after changing the parameters in the dialog. You don't need to close and reopen the job.

I was also surprised to find that the path follows the display model resolution, that seems a bizarre thing to do. Surely you'd always want the maximum resolution for the CAM output? I'm using a machine that only accepts linear moves at the moment so I need those to be as short as possible. The only way to do that seems to be to set the resolution of the display to the finest else you get facets showing on the finished part.
striplar

Postby MecSoft Support » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:09 am

I am not sure what version of VisualCAM for Geomagic you are running but VisualCAM has never used the display resolution for machining. The API in older versions of the software was restricted to using a scaled value from 1-10 which had to be mapped to chord height tolerance to produce the triangles in older versions of the software. Alibre's API was then improved to use chord height tolerance in the 2012 release but this also produced problems in some surfaces such as as ruled surfaces. Now in the Geomagic Design API that will show up in the new version we have finally been given more control such as facet size etc. which we will be able to use to much effective use in CAM. A little understanding of the context and the limitations of the API that our programmers have been working with will be in order before making generalizations on the quality of our programmer's work would seem warranted in my opinion.
MecSoft Support

Return to AlibreCAM Topics & Support