Operating without Internet

All topics related to RhinoCAM
Michael Moore

Operating without Internet

Post by Michael Moore »

I've been having problems with my DSL service for the last week. I have hopes that will be resolved soon, but then I thought it would have been fixed 3 or 4 days ago.

When I opened Rhino this morning (no DSL) I was offered a demo-mode screen for RhinoCAM 2016. I closed that window without accepting any changes because I was concerned it might mess up my RhinoCAM 2016 installation.

I do still have the dongle installed in the PC.

Did Mecsoft move to a remote license server authorization with 2016? I think I may have seen something about that when I did the upgrade but I can't recall for sure at the moment. What should I be doing in times when I don't have connectivity? Is it safe to pick the appropriate level of Mill from the demo screen?

Is it possible to have 2016 check for the dongle first and avoid trying to go online if it is found?

thanks,
Michael
MecSoft Support

Re: Operating without Internet

Post by MecSoft Support »

Michael,

RhinoCAM has been transitioned over to use software licensing from a hardware key (dongle) licensing scheme used in previous versions.
a. Upgrade licenses will require the dongle to be plugged in the first time the product is upgraded but will not be necessary after the upgrade process completes.
b. Internet access is necessary when activating the license for the first time. Once activation takes place, internet access is not necessary for normal operation.
c. Internet access is necessary to release license to transfer to another machine.