A few questions about post processing and tool changes

All topics related to RhinoCAM
midnightmetalworks

A few questions about post processing and tool changes

Post by midnightmetalworks »

Ive been learning RhinoCam and just have a few questions I could really use help with:

What are the codes I would enter in the post processor, tool change tab, to get the machine to move to a safe z height, pause so I can change the tool manually, and then wait till I hit start again to go back to running the code?

When I do change the tool if the length of the tool is different from the previous one do i have to re zero the axis' or does the program assume the WCS stays in the same position and adjust the tool holder location accordingly?

Also are the coordinates Rhinocam puts out relative or absolute, so for instance if I pause the program and move the tool and then start the program from that moved position will it move the tool to a xyz coordinate off the WCS or will it just move the tool the amount and direction specified by the code?

Last one, How do I program the tool to return to the CWS position at the end of the g code?

Thanks
Mark Angus

Re: A few questions about post processing and tool changes

Post by Mark Angus »

That code is different on each controler. You need to find out from the manufacturer. Its noramally a small macro written for the machine.

If you have a sample program from the machine you can normally extract it.

I am talking about the tool change.
midnightmetalworks

Post by midnightmetalworks »

I'm using Mach 3... so I guess I have to ask that forum for help also... ;)
Im lucky to have so many people to ask for help ! Thanks
any ideas about the other questions?
hahn_rossman

Post by hahn_rossman »

Mach has a tool table that allows you to store offsets of your tools. part of the tool change macro is to use g43 to load the offset.
Hahn Rossman
Lufaluabu

Late to the party :/

Post by Lufaluabu »

For anyone that stumbles upon this page looking for help as I did. The solution that I found to this problem lies in the post processor. I was having issues with tool heights not registering and consequently having the tool gouge parts and ruin the entire project.

I was using Mach3 mm post processor because my model was in millimeters. (Made sense to me). However when I switched from mm to Mach3 ATC post processor the problem immediately solved itself.

Happy Machining

----Lufaluabu