Sorting of Curves in engraving using "To" conditio

All topics related to RhinoCAM
ryan

Sorting of Curves in engraving using "To" conditio

Post by ryan »

typically the order in which i pick the curves in the engraving command determines the order in which they are cut.

i started doing some of my engraving using the "To" condition but it is not using the order picked for the order of the cuts.

Is there a way to override this?

also is there a way to make it follow the curve direction?

thank you
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

Hi Ryan,

You could use 2 1/2 Axis Profiling. The Cut start side can be set to inside/outside for closed curves, cut direction can be set to climb/conventional/mixed. This would use the order in which you pick the curves.
Alternatively you can sort by minimum distance for 2 1/2 Axis profiling. This can be done by specifying an environmental variable.

You would need to set an environment variable, VMILL_SORT_PROFILES on each of the machines that you have installed RhinoCAM.

a. Go to Start->Control Panel->System
b. From the System Properties dialog box that pops up select the Advanced tab.
c. Click on the Environment Variables button at the bottom.
d. In the Environment Variables dialog box that pops up, click on the New button under System variables
e. In the New System Variable dialog box that pops up, define
Variable Name = VMILL_SORT_PROFILES
Variable Value = 1
ryan

Post by ryan »

seems to be working, thank you
ryan

Post by ryan »

hmm, i don't know what happened but I thought that the setting of the environment variable gave me what I was looking for but now I'm not so sure.

What I am doing is pocketing text with a straight fluted tool. Then I come back in with a ball end tool, but I want this toolpath to run offset inside the text 1/16 inch skimming the surface of my part to clean the upper edge of the pocket.

If I use 2-1/2" Profiling I have to separate out the islands in the text in another operation, if I don't, it cuts the islands on the wrong side.

Engraving with the "To" condition gives me the desired toolpath, it just doesn't use the order I pick the regions in.

Is there anyway to globally turn off any automatic sorting? I never get the results I need with anything I need to mill anyway.