Problem with not-quite-standard tools...

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
wozzwinkl

Post by wozzwinkl »

I am having some trouble running a parallel finishing pass with a 1/32" ball end mill. I can define the tool in the library jsut fine and generate the path, but the problem has to do with the fact that VM only lets me define a tool's diameter and length; this tool is a 1/32" ball end with a 1/8" shank. The 1/32" part of it is only abut 0.125" long, then it flares out over the next 0.125" to the shank size. The problem with this is that VM tries to put the tip of the tool quite deep down along the steep sides of the part and ends up ramming the tapered section of the bit into the part. I know that I can just tell it not to cut below a set Z value, or constrain it within a region, but this part is rather sculptural and I need the cutter to be machining the outer rounded edges. I searched about using a 'user-defined' tool, but the only helpful article I found stated that this tool type can only really be used for 2d profiling...

Anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks...
Mitch Heynick

Post by Mitch Heynick »

Hi,

I suspect you're going to have to construct some check surfaces to keep the cutter from going any deeper than you want in those areas. Even if you make a custom tool in VM, I don't think the taper and the larger shaft diameter will be taken into account for the actual toolpath calculation (for gouge avoidance).

Most programs that I know won't actually limit your machining operations based on the tool drawing, it's mostly for the simulation. The simulation should show your gouges if you set up the tool profile correctly, I guess, but you still have to manually limit the toolpaths to avoid them. At least that's my experience. --Mitch
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

We have had requests for stepped tools and the ability to protect the stepped portion (portion that is not-cutting but is of a bigger diameter than the cutting diameter). We will be adding this in our upcoming release.