RhinoCAM snapping to toolpath segments (to measure)

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
Mitch Heynick

Post by Mitch Heynick »

Hi all,

I can't seem to be able to snap to a toolpath segment to measure its coordinates or distance from something (with Rhino commands). Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thanks, --Mitch
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

Hi Mitch,

In RhinoCAM the graphical snap to the toolpath points using the Toolpath editor is not implemented. This is because the toolpath is not a Rhino object and so we cannot the Rhino commands such as measure on it. One of the options we have been debating is to create a Rhino object using the toolpath so that you can use all of the Rhino commands to edit the object.

Let us know how you would want to see this done.

BTW, we have enhanced the selection in the toolpath editor in that you can now perform multiple selections in the toolpath editor text box. This simplifies a lot of operations quite a bit.
Mitch Heynick

Post by Mitch Heynick »

"Let us know how you would want to see this done."

Well, the minimum would be to be able to measure the end points of toolpath segments with Rhino tools - distance, coordinates, length, etc.

Nice would be able actually graphically edit the path, selecting segments and deleting them (in the Rhino window), moving/dragging the endpoints, etc. I guess if we're asking for it all, then the ability to add segments with Rhino drawing tools would be fantastic...

Thanks for asking, --Mitch
Shane Williamson

Post by Shane Williamson »

The beauty of RhinoCam is its integration with a wonderful host application.

I would love to see direct toolpath editing inside of Rhino.

-Shane