Problem creating open curve Region

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
wabecomilluser

Problem creating open curve Region

Post by wabecomilluser »

The one thing I have not grasped is how to create a profile toolpath for an open region.

EXAMPLE1. Lets say that one has a D shaped part, where the curve of the D is on the Z plane and one only wished to machine the outer curved surface without profiling all the way around the part.
EXAMPLE2. Or one wished to machine only the outside of the straight part of the D.

How do I go about this . If I select "create single flat area region and select a region, the toolpath go's down the centre of that region. What am I doing wrong?

I would be very greatful if this precedure can be spelt out to me.
I also do not understand now to use the following . In edit curves - Edit surface boundary and Bounding Region.

I have the standard Visualmill 6 package.
Thanks In advance.
MecSoft Support

Re: Problem creating open curve Region

Post by MecSoft Support »

All you have to do to profile an open curve is to create an open curve and use it in profiling. You will not be able to use the Flat Area regions since it always creates closed curves. However, you can create the curve using CAD tools. In VM 2012 you can just pick an edge of a surface and use it for profiling, whether this is an open or closed edge. Hope this helps. If you still need help, I would suggest scheduling some training with us.