New Guy Help Please

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
groundhog

New Guy Help Please

Post by groundhog »

I've been teaching myself to use VM standard for my cnc mill (a used Syil 4+).

I am having trouble with Z axis feed speed. Whenever the end-mill needs to move to a lower z it seems to move too quickly, sometimes causing lost steps. Does the z axis feed (speed) move at the "Cut Feed" rate (in the speeds and feeds tab)? Can I slow the z feeds without slowing the x and y cut feeds?

I've tried changing the "plunge between levels" in the "Feed Rate Reduction Factors" box but I don't see what that does (when doing a pocketing operation for example). I also tried setting the "feed rate scale factor" to 0.5 for the z axis in the post-processor feed-rate tab.

And, are the plunge, approach and engage feeds all feeds that happen when the cutter is not engaged in the material (as I interperate the manual)?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Mike aka Groundhog
khalid

Re: New Guy Help Please

Post by khalid »

What version of software you are using? ..You can set the settings in Tool "Feed and Speed" dialogue.
groundhog

Post by groundhog »

I have version 7.0.0.85 standard (VM 2012 64 bit).

I'm still confused. I know I can change settings in "Feeds & Speeds", but specifically how can I change the feed rate for the Z axis (slow it down) without changing the feed rate for the X and Y axis?
Mitch Heynick

Post by Mitch Heynick »

You can do this with the postprocessor, in the Feed Rate tab, there is a box called "Z Feed Rate Scale Factor". Set it to something less than 1.

I don't know how this works when you are feeding simultaneous X,Y and Z axes though.

--Mitch
groundhog

Post by groundhog »

Mitch,
As per the first post, I tried setting the "Z Feed Rate Scale Factor" to 0.5. I only tried it once (on a simple hole pocket) but I didn't think I saw any difference. I guess I'll try again.

Are most mills able to cut vertically as fast as they can horizontally with a standard center cutting end mill?