Face Mill not supported in VisualMill 2012?

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
khalid

Face Mill not supported in VisualMill 2012?

Post by khalid »

I have recently drilled some holes and when i intend to do grooving in the holes using faceMill, the toolpath generated fine but when i press POST then the VisualMill open a dialogue that some existing tools are not supported?
Here is the Video of drilled holes in 60mm thick carbon steel plate 19.30mm dia holes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smgMUNo7J4w
This means that if i make Custom tool it will also be not supported for post processing?

My other question is what is the best way to make the grooves in the hole as per attached sketch?
Attachments
tube groove picture.JPG
tube groove picture.JPG (25.06 KiB) Viewed 7972 times
MecSoft Support

Re: Face Mill not supported in VisualMill 2012?

Post by MecSoft Support »

We are able to program the groove with a Facemill & post process the toolpath. Facemill tool is supported in Expert, Pro & Premium configurations of VisualMILL 2012. What configuration of VisualMILL are you running?
The grooves can be programmed using T-Slot machining or Profiling operations.
User Defined tools (custom tools) are supported in Expert, Pro & Premium configurations of VisualMILL 2012. You should be able to post process toolpath programmed with these tools.
khalid

Re: Face Mill not supported in VisualMill 2012?

Post by khalid »

Thank you for the prompt reply. It was my fault and the toolpath is working now and i have made test grooves. But, i am having a little problem. I want the tool to enter and retract from within the center of the hole but my tool does not retract and approach within the center. I have made many changes in lead in lead out angles, retract approach length settings but all in vain.

Consider my FaceMill tool is 17.2mm diameter with the tip of 3mm i.e. groove width., and the groove circle is 20.3mm diameter. The grooves are just like above posted figure.

I am unable to make a toolpath to enter the tool from the exactly at the centre and retract exactly from the centre of hole? the retract and approach is just off-centre say 0.1mm etc...

I have generated the Gcode and changes the entry /retract cumbersomely in NC editor for a single hole but for lot of holes it will take a lot of time to manually change the gcode.

Any thought help?