Setting source folder in 2012

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
Michael Moore

Setting source folder in 2012

Post by Michael Moore »

I've got both VCAD/VMILL 2012 Pro and RhinoCAM2012. I want to have a different location from the program defaults for things like the knowledge base files, feed/speeds, etc. I don't store info like this in documents and settings, I want both VC/VM and Rhino to look for the knowledge base files on my programs partition under

E:\Program Files\MecSoft Corporation\VisualCAD 2012\Plug-ins\VisualMILL 2012/Defaults

I went into "set machining preferences" in all three versions (VCAD as well as VMill and Rhino) (without creating any geometry to save as a new file) and put in my new default folder, clicked "OK" and exited. I also unchecked some of the arc output boxes before I exited the preferences window. I then closed the programs and restarted them. When I looked in "set machining preferences again" the arc output boxes were as I had set them (still unchecked) but the source folder had returned to the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MecSoft Corporation\VisualMILL 2012\Defaults" or "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MecSoft Corporation\RhinoCAM 2012\Defaults" settings.

I don't want to have to maintain two sets of knowledge base or feeds/speeds files (or any other "settings" files that I may tweak).

FWIW, I changed Rhino to look for the post under the VM folders and that seems to have taken OK.

thanks,
Michael
MecSoft Support

Re: Setting source folder in 2012

Post by MecSoft Support »

This entry is not customizable. I will add this as an enhancement.
Michael Moore

Post by Michael Moore »

OK, I'll watch for that and in the mean time come up with something to help keep all the files synchronized between the different locations.

In the future you might want to consider not showing data that can't be modified in what looks and acts like a data entry field. That would avoid confusing the user who attempts to modify the data only to find the changes won't stick.

Just to satisfy my curiousity, am I the only person who has VM and also a "bridge" license to RhinoCAM or one of the other variants of the software? If you've got a number of customers who may be in the same situation as I am then you might want to consider adding something in the installer software that looks for multiple licenses/instances of the software and when it finds them sets all the defaults for the different versions of the user's files to one location.

cheers,
Michael
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

No, we have a number of customers using the Bridge licenses. I think allowing customization of the folder would fix the issue in the short term. We will see what we can do here.