VisualTURN 1.0.2.4 issues

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
Jon

VisualTURN 1.0.2.4 issues

Post by Jon »

Where to start...Soooo many choices.

I have version 1.0.2.4 with the diameter mode patch.

1. ID turning starts and end with the tool near zero with no regard for whether or not the back side of the tool will hit the bore. Setting a skim clearance does nothing to affect the start and stop locations.

2. Tool nose radius comp does not work with "follow curve" turning operation on ID cuts. (have not tried it on OD)

3. ID groove roughing with multiple steps, starts at a near zero diameter location instead of on the part. On an 8" ID part with a .020 step, around 5000 lines of code need to be removed so it does not cut air for 20 minutes. before making a .050 deep groove.

4. Tool does not clear part in between operations (ie rough to finish or finish1 to finsih2) Drives directly from retract location to start of new op and can crash into part on the way, mainly on ID turning operations. Program needs to show tool path between all operations/tool changes to detect crashes.

5. Chip break drill lacks input for parameters J & K

6. No support for spindle gear changes (M41, M42, M43, M44)

7. Spindle speed limit needs to come after M41, M42, M43, M44 to take effect

8. Options for front or rear tool post. Affect G2/G3 directions

9. Program crashes/locks up if 0 is entered in grooving step down dimension box.

10. Need option to bore/turn with a grooving bit.

11. Need ability to set groove finish cut depth for groove sides different than groove depth since thin grooving bits cannot cut sideways.

12. Post generator spindle block limited to one line. Need two lines, the first line to set parameters and a second line to turn it on (M03/M04).

And most importantly...

Fix the import code that creates tiny jogs or gaps in the geometry that the program can not handle. It's a complete crap-shoot as to whether the program will import good geometry. I can load the same file numerous times and get different results each time. This has happened with .igs .dxf .stp and .stl files.

I'm sure there are more since I found all these making only eight parts.

A little more attention to details. For example, you misspelled your own product in the list of forums (left out an L in VisuaTURN Topics & Support).
Jon

Re: VisualTURN 1.0.2.4 issues

Post by Jon »

Also, when posting a part file, the program should warn you if you are naming the file the same as another file that already exists, so that it does not overwrite it accidentally.

And constant surface speed units are surface feet per minute (SFM), not inch per minute.
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

Thanks Jon for your input. Would you be interested in participating in the upcoming beta program for VisualTURN? If so we can contact you regarding this. Drop us an email at [email protected] if you are interested.
Jon

Post by Jon »

If by Beta test you mean QA your program for free, then I'll pass. I already seem to be doing it for release 1. Hire someone that has actually operated a lathe, as judging by release 1, you didn't and the tech support person I talked to had no idea what I meant when I said the backside of the boring bar crashes when the bore dia. is less than 2X the bar dia. ...really really really basic concept.

... and the ID grooving op does the same thing.

Also, the ID bore function cannot follow a profile that increases in diameter with increasing bore depth, which is why I had to use curve follow, which does not use tool nose radius comp as stated in post #1.

... and on the groove roughing, the "overlap" does nothing that I can see and the first "step over" option should be % tool width, not % tool diameter.

And the biggest peeve is still the horrible import geometry. I wish there was a way to post a picture (that wasn't web based) of yesterdays file so that you could see a simple 90 degree, .030 corner radius broken into three sections (all different radii) with the straight connection lines not coming in tangent and having 180 degree or 90 degree jogs at the intersection. Makes really ugly G code when you post it, assuming the program will even process it, which many times it won't. Visual mill does not have this problem.
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

If by Beta test you mean QA your program for free, then I'll pass.
Fine!
Hire someone that has actually operated a lathe, as judging by release 1, you didn't and the tech support person I talked to had no idea what I meant when I said the backside of the boring bar crashes when the bore dia. is less than 2X the bar dia. ...really really really basic concept.
Yes, believe me, we have tried. It is tough to find somebody who is an expert machinist who also can actually support a software product. In any case we have finally managed to get somebody like that on board and he is actually taking a lead role in getting VisualTURN 2.0 out the door.

And thanks for the other input as well. We have added these to our issue database.
Jon

Post by Jon »

I'd attach a mindlessly simple file with two bore ops to test on VT2 that VT1 can't generate to save its life, but the there's no attach option in the forum. You can't even begin to comprehend how pissed I am at your program with its countless "algorithmic failures" for the most basic geometry or how many hours I have lost trying to find work-arounds to its failures. I'd contact support, but from prior experience, I doubt that I will get anyone who actually knows how to machine a part (i.e. I was sent an example that used .080 offset cuts for a large shallow bore using boring bar with a -3deg lead, great way to crash a tool)

Feel free to contact me offline. I'm sure you can figure out who I am from my screen name, but don't send the B team.

Jon N.