Help - Cutting like a diamond cutter.

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
SN96

Help - Cutting like a diamond cutter.

Post by SN96 »

Hello Guys,

Quick question:

If I set the option of Cut Arc Fitting to x,y will I get smoother curves? Right now the part that I cut has several flats along the curve making it reflect like a diamond. I'm using horizontal roughing and I'm not sure if that's how it cuts or if I can get it to cut smoother.
Mike,

The Robotics NUT
DareBee

Re: Help - Cutting like a diamond cutter.

Post by DareBee »

That all depends.
2.5 or 3d operation?
If your import solid was an STL, the facets are already there and you need a higher res model.
Could be VMs import sampling was set too low.
Could be intol/outol settings.

Last time I had issues with a customers large part, making large facets, I had to use arc fitting within the toolpath editor. VM itself can do nothing (that I know of) if the import model is not high enough quality.

It would be great if VM could/would implement some sort of strategy to finish machine without making the diamonds/triangles (or using toolpath edit strategies).
integratedmechanical.ca
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

If the input data is of poor quality we really cannot do much about it - Garbage in garbage out principle!. Arc fitting will get you some relief in some cases but we are running blind - that is fitting arcs after toolpath generation and not checking this against the part model. You have to worry about tolerance stacking that might end up violating your model. We have considered ideas of smoothing toolpaths taking into account the model but these efforts are all in research stage right now and not ready for production yet.
DareBee

Post by DareBee »

I agree entirely. It is arbitrary. Smoothing the toolpath for any given surface is a game of educated guessing. Somewhere (typically thousands of places) the toolpath will be clear of the actual model and also intruding just as much.

It can take a long time to fit arcs with the toolpath editor but you get what you want when you are done. Just have to remember not to regen the mop and overwrite all the hours of editing. There is no SAFETY against this happening.
integratedmechanical.ca