Entry/exit for 2.5D profiling

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
denver

Entry/exit for 2.5D profiling

Post by denver »

Hello,

I use VM6 mostly for 3D work, but I thought I would try it for some of my 2.5D work also. When I create a simple profile toolpath with a ramped entrance (along path) and multiple cut levels, I see that all the ramps start at the same place in X and Y. Is there any way to get the ramp for each successive cut level to start where the previous one left off? That would eliminate lots of unnecessary motion, and make smooth transitions from one cut level to the next.

I was also wondering if it's possible to create a smooth spiral profile cut, where the Z level continuously and gradually decreases as the tool travels around the perimeter? The tool would take one complete circuit around to move down the specified depth/cut.

Thanks,

Denver
MecSoft Support

Re: Entry/exit for 2.5D profiling

Post by MecSoft Support »

Hi Denver,
This is in our list of things to do for our next release. Thanks for the input.
DareBee

Post by DareBee »

denver wrote:Hello,
I was also wondering if it's possible to create a smooth spiral profile cut, where the Z level continuously and gradually decreases as the tool travels around the perimeter? The tool would take one complete circuit around to move down the specified depth/cut.

Thanks,

Denver
Do this in 2.5d profiling by picking "3D entry". Use a Z value equal or greater than needed depth and a ramp angle your cutter can handle at full load.
I like to do pockets/slots this way. I use a stepover value that will allow the cutter to overlap slightly so as not to have a slug to worry about when it goes through the bottom of the part.
My dongle isnt in this comp now or I would show you a TP
integratedmechanical.ca
hahn_rossman

Post by hahn_rossman »

Has any progress been made on implementing this?
Hahn Rossman
MecSoft Support

We have implemented the overlap distance in Profile cuts in the 2016 release. This will take care of the entry and exits leaving a mark on the part as the tool enters/exits the material. This release should be out in a couple of months.

Regarding the spiral profile cuts, the along path engage is the way to generate the spiral cuts in profiling.
hahn_rossman

Post by hahn_rossman »

"along paths" for cuts that are less than the full depth result in the ramp starting at the clearance plane. I attached a screenshot of this. The issue I have with simply specifying a full depth cut and some ramp angle is trying to optimize engagement, but not overload the tool. I have calculated the depth of cut based on deflection/chip load of the tool. If I could let rhinocam create a spiral tool path which used my depth increment that would be awesome!
Hahn Rossman
hahn_rossman

Post by hahn_rossman »

Screenshot 2015-09-19 17.03.12.png
Screenshot 2015-09-19 17.03.12.png (146.1 KiB) Viewed 13055 times
oops here is the screenshot
MecSoft Support

Thanks for the input. We will see what we can do in this release.