using FEEDSSPEEDS.txt

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
denver

using FEEDSSPEEDS.txt

Post by denver »

Hello,

I like the ability to have all the feed rates for a selected tool set according to spindle RPM. However, I'm running into some difficulties setting things up.

First, it seems like the drop-down selections in the Feeds/Speeds Database section of the Feeds/Speeds dialog do not act as filters. Each one always shows everything. Is that correct, or am I doing something wrong?

I'm also having a little trouble figuring out a good way to organize this file for all the materials and tools I use with my router. I've currently got a single Type section because I haven't found any benefit to having more. The Stock_Material section contains the type of material: MDF, HW (for hardwood), SP (for soft plastic), etc. Under Tool_Material I list the actual tool: 57-240 (for Onsrud 57-240), etc. Those are followed by appropriate entries for that tool, diameter, and material. I would be interested in hearing about how other people, especially those using a router, have theirs organized.

I have run into another problem though. As I've added to this file, I've gotten to a point where VM fails to start. The error message is from Visual CAM, and says "Failed to create empty document". I've tracked this down to specific lines in my file, and it seems to be connected to what's in the Tool_Material field. I did a search for that message but didn't find anything. Any ideas about why this is happening?

I've attached a copy of my current effort. You will find a number of lines that are commented out. Most of those are the ones that cause VM to fail to start.

Regards,

Denver
FEEDSSPEEDS.zip
(1.37 KiB) Downloaded 926 times
MecSoft Support

Re: using FEEDSSPEEDS.txt

Post by MecSoft Support »

First, it seems like the drop-down selections in the Feeds/Speeds Database section of the Feeds/Speeds dialog do not act as filters. Each one always shows everything. Is that correct, or am I doing something wrong?
The feeds/speeds table should filter out the Tool Material based on the selected Stock Material type. This looks like a bug & we will make a note of it.
I have run into another problem though. As I've added to this file, I've gotten to a point where VM fails to start. The error message is from Visual CAM, and says "Failed to create empty document". I've tracked this down to specific lines in my file, and it seems to be connected to what's in the Tool_Material field. I did a search for that message but didn't find anything. Any ideas about why this is happening?
We have sent this over to our development team as we could not determine what is causing the problem.