extrude goes wrong way

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
workinforwood

extrude goes wrong way

Post by workinforwood »

I did a screenshot in mic word. The image is looking great, but it's exactly the opposite of what I want it to be. As it is right now, the dragon is cut in like a relief. I want to cut everything outside and inside leaving the actual dragon standing proud.

Also...i did all the stuff in the gasket tutorial, made my mill tool for this project and added it and saved it, well when i leave the software and come back, the tool list is empty. tried saving the tool several times, says it's saved, every time i close program and come back it's gone.
MecSoft Support

Re: extrude goes wrong way

Post by MecSoft Support »

I did a screenshot in mic word. The image is looking great, but it's exactly the opposite of what I want it to be. As it is right now, the dragon is cut in like a relief. I want to cut everything outside and inside leaving the actual dragon standing proud.
Use Create Solid Extrude command from the Solids tab located under the Geometry bar and select the outer and inner curve geometries that forms the dragon. Specify the direction and extrusion distance. This should result in the dragon standing proud. Make sure to select closed curves for extrusion.
Also...i did all the stuff in the gasket tutorial, made my mill tool for this project and added it and saved it, well when i leave the software and come back, the tool list is empty. tried saving the tool several times, says it's saved, every time i close program and come back it's gone.
After defining the tools under the cutting tools browser, select Save Tool Library. Specify a file name and click Save. To load a tool library select Load tool library.
Note: VisualMILL will automatically load the previously loaded tool library at start-up.

Save and Load Tool libraries can be found under the Cutting Tools Browser.
To launch the Cutting Tools Browser: Select VisualMILL from the menu bar and click Cutting Tools Browser.
workinforwood

Post by workinforwood »

ok. Far as I could tell, it looked like that worked fine. I got the dragon .05 raised ..a little more would have been better, but don't really care about that, I am learning and this is not some important project, it's just a learning for me to use this software..baby steps!

I thought what I saw looked real nice. so now I used the tutorial to generate a mop, with a tool bit. I did pretty much everything as stated in tutorial 1 to make a gasket. That's maybe a little of the problem right there, since this isn't a gasket...anyhow, in pic one you see the dragon standing proud. In pic two you see my generated cutter path. The cutter path is totally wrong and not just that, it's missing in many places. according to software, there is 24 regions. looking at the toolpath on the screen, some of it is almost right, inside the wing for example, there is pockets to cut out. I see the tool went around the inside of the pockets, but didn't cut the entire pocket out. other areas, like the wing itself, the tool is inside the wing, but should be outside the wing pocketing out the entire area leaving the dragon standing proud with pockets in it's wings and face. The tribal slashes at the bottom right, the tool only touches one of them for a tiny bit and at the inside when the tool should be on the outside. Sorry I'm such a pia.

ok, no pics i guess. i choose upload and it just cycles connecting to mecsoft for an hour.
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

As you had trouble uploading the file, could you email the VisualMILL part file to [email protected] and we can take a look at it.