Dongle problem

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
gthomps

Dongle problem

Post by gthomps »

Anyone having any problem with their dongle and a hyperthreading CPU?

Just recently purchased (2 months ago) a new CPU with a hyperthreading chipset. I'm still waiting to use this machine.

The problem I face is that the dongle recognizes this as two computers hooked up to a single license dongle. Reports that all network licenses have been exhausted. There is no network as this machine is standalone.

I've contacted both Mecsoft and Rainbow/Safenet on this but have not received a solution. Mecsoft has been good in responding with reply's, Safenet has promised to call back multiple times but has not. Neither has provided me with the solution to this problem that all parties agree on. (alot of finger pointing) I've waisted a considerable amount of time corresponding with both business's, spent an enormous amount of time on the phone with tech support with both and have got nothing to show for it.

Time is money and there seems to be no help with this.
gthomps

Dongle problem

Post by gthomps »

Download and install this driver.

ftp.machiningsolution.com/SPNComboInst1.0.5.zip

J
gthomps

Dongle problem

Post by gthomps »

Alredy have. Have also run SuperMedic Pro and their monitor program. I've been walked through a top to bottom setup, machine and software, disabled and re enabled hyperthreading and still get the error. As I stated I've been in contact with both parties and have updated all drivers, ran all diagnostics, verified the dongle is functioning properly and been told by both sides that the other is responsible for the fix. So here I sit a new machine, some software that will not run and no answers.
gthomps

Dongle problem

Post by gthomps »

Interesting,
Would you mind detailing the hardware an OS? One of my dealers on the east coast has a twin/hyperthreading box and I am running one as well. Neither of us are having dongle related problems and I would like to be sure my customers avoid hardware configs that are problematic. It's a bummer to have a customer mad at you for things beyond your ability to fix and is something I prefer to avoid even if that means walking away from a sale.

J
MecSoft Support

Dongle problem

Post by MecSoft Support »

Greg,
I think you are being a little unfair here in saying that we are trying to finger point. We have sketched out a plan of action to solve your problem and have asked your cooperation in this. Since you are runinng 4.0 we have told you the following:

Download 5.0 and we will give you a temporary license to see if the problem is fixed in 5.0. If it does then we will have to upgrade you to 5.0. Since we have other people using the software on hyperthreading boxes, this would be the best course of action.

We are still waiting for you to do this and get back to us.
gthomps

Dongle problem

Post by gthomps »

Will post findings of either the correction or failure from attempts to fix this issue.

OS XP Pro service pack 2
3.4 GHz Pentium 4
2 GHz RAM
Soyo P41875P Dragon 2V1.0 Motherboard
VVIDIA Quadro FX 500 128MB DDR SDRAM
600w pwr supply

[Edited by gthomps on 15-Feb-05 04:49]
gthomps

Dongle problem

Post by gthomps »

Update
Tried version 5 with the same issue.
DareBee

Dongle problem

Post by DareBee »

Have you considered switching dongles and giving it a try?
I use a USB dongle on a HT processor with no problem.
The only other thing I can think is you have a driver conflict.
I would consider disconnecting all the peripherals from the computer clearing the CMOS,formating the hard drive and doing a clean reinstall of OS and all programs.
If you have other Software that requires a dongle do not install it untill after you have installed VM and gotten it operational.

I don't have any other ideas at this time.
DareBee

Dongle problem

Post by DareBee »

That is one wicked ass computer you have there.
gthomps

Dongle problem

Post by gthomps »

No driver conflict. (Read previous posts) You might be right about a different dongle but that's not been offered. Reformat drive and re-install OS does not appeal to me, as I don't think that will do it. Thanks anyway.
gthomps

Dongle problem

Post by gthomps »

BTTTop
KeithRumley

Dongle problem

Post by KeithRumley »

I have a WinXP SP2 Dell P4 3.0ghz hyperthreading, with 1gb RAM, VM 5 SP8, parallel port dongle on a PCI expansion parallel port. Runs fine. Had to manually assign the dongle driver to the port address, if I recall correctly.

FWIW
- Keith
KeithRumley

Dongle problem

Post by KeithRumley »

Hi all

I have new PC with dual xeon HT CPU and Paralleltport on Expansion slot. My Parallelport Dongle will not find this Port.
Printer allready works on this Port. The Dongle is OK and works well on other PC.
I know, I can manualy configure the Sentinel driver, but this will not work. The Dongle can not be found on the printerport.

What can I do?
Please Help!!!!

Best Regards
Peter
MecSoft Support

Dongle problem

Post by MecSoft Support »

Peter,
Please send an email with specifications of your PC and your expansion slot to [email protected]. We will have to take this up with Rainbow to figure out what is going on. Another option for you might be to swap your parallel dongle for a USB one.
tsomer

Dongle problem

Post by tsomer »

GThomps:
Did you ever get your problem fixed? I just bought a new machine and have encountered the same problem. I'll be installing the patches tonight, but from the way things have gone today, I'm not optimistic.