ART to PART at PBE with RhinoCAM
Anthony Pelosi, CNC Lead with PBE (Paul Bernhard Exhibit Design & Consulting) located in Austin TX, uses RhinoCAM-ART to convert artwork into geometry suitable for machining. With RhinoART, PBE designers can model artistic shapes from color or black/white raster bitmap images. They can then machine those shapes using RhinoCAM’s MILL module.
“What I like about RhinoART is that it doesn’t need a detailed bitmap image. Even a medium quality JPEG image can provide incredible results. I’ve been able to create 3D geometry from 2D photos with an incredible amount of detail.”
– Anthony Pelosi, CNC Lead, PBE (Paul Bernhard Exhibit Design & Consulting)
In this example, Anthony uses RhinoCAM-ART to create a 3-dimensional Relief model in Rhino 5.0 from a 2-dimensional bitmap file. The image file shows the distribution of salt/share substrate deposits. The goal at PBE was to create a wall-mounted exhibit depicting the salt/shale deposits in relief that could be machined using RhinoCAM. Refer to the figures below for learn more about this project.
Refer to Figure E above:
- The RhinoCAM-ART Browser is shown with the 3D Relief operation displayed.
- The 3D Relief operation dialog is displayed. This dialog is used to manipulate the original bitmap image prior to creating the 3D model. The different tabs allow you to apply color filters, add relief curves and adjust other parameters such as size, relief height and a smoothing factor.
- Once generated, the 3D relief model is displayed on the screen.
- If you zoom in you can clearly see the varying degrees of relief height applied to each pixel color of the original bitmap image. The bitmap image of the salt/share substrate deposits is shown to the right with the magnified area from the image above shown highlighted area.
More about PBE
PBE features a multifaceted group of designers, engineers, fabricators, programmers, and content specialists providing the following services: Project Management, Content Research & Development, Gallery Curation, Video & Audio Production, Scriptwriting, Exhibit Design, Feasibility & Flow Studies, Graphic Design, Interface & Interactive Design, Custom Programming, 3D Visualization & Animation, Lighting & Electronics, Fabrication & Sculpting, and Installation. You can see more of the work done by Paul Bernhard Exhibit, Design & Consulting by visiting their website.